Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Honestly they all look like the same breed, just with different colors. (all have the same angle of tail, same spread of tail, same body type, same single comb, same small crest, etc)

But no, they're not what created the Orloff. Those markings are found on a lot of breeds.
smile.png

They do look like the same breed, just different colors hard to tell when we cannot translate the names.
Those names might be names of colors...
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving !

Quote:
There sure aren't many of them!
Here is one of mine. Meanest little things I've ever come across, but I adore them and intend to expand my flock big time in the spring.

38335_005.jpg

Cletus-Pyncheon Bantam(and spawn of the devil)

So I finally got pics of my birds. Been very busy lately. I never did get an answer as to whether or not rosecomb RIR bantams were rare or not
hide.gif
. Anyways, here are the pics. BTW....beautiful birds everyone!
big_smile.png

Rosecomb RIR bantams:
46048_brrir_6.jpg

46048_brrir_8.jpg

46048_brrir.jpg

Phoenix Bantams:
46048_033.jpg

My roo's tail is getting so nasty since I had to cage him.
barnie.gif

46048_pb_3.jpg

What color is this boy?
46048_pb_4.jpg

I really want to get more Phoenix bantams and rosecomb RIR bantams. They are hard to find tho.
sad.png

Oh really ?
50801_mots_daddy.jpg

50801_mot1.jpg

50801_green_splash_rhode_islands_001.jpg

they helped me paint the coop green...
50801_green_splash_rhode_islands_002.jpg

these are the rare and beautiful sage green splash Rhode Island Whites
lau.gif

Probably be on them until their moult next year ...and I was going to enter a trio in the upcoming poultry show ! Darn it !!!

Mopargal, your RIR rosecombs are beautiful, nice rich mohogany...nice points on the comb, interesting formation.
There is a breed info for RIR rosecombs, but I have not seen anyone else have bantams...
Hmmm I think most folks are out and about for the holiday so it may be a while before you get an answer to your question from a RIR expert, which I am not.

Last edited:
R I Red Rose Comb bantams are maybe more rare than Rose Comb Large Fowl. Not many people breeding them like Single Comb Red Bantams. They are very rare. There are a few seen in the mid west are, but they have never been as popular as Single Combs. You would think in the north you would want them because their combs dont freeze like single combs. But if they dont win at shows people will give them up.

I saw a picture at books a million today on chickens from Holland. They had a large fowl Rose Comb Red in it that had type like I have not seen on a Rose Comb Red befor. They must have good ones over there and more than anything people who will breed them. The big reason most people dont win with them as they cross single combs on them to much and the combs look like a slab of bacon on their heads. They also seem to revert back to a short type body sooner than single comb and you loose your brick shape.

The R I Whites are very rare. Only a hand full of hatcheries have them. They also never got off the ground years ago and lost thier popular status with other breeds like the Lamona and the Delawares.

The nice lady from Raymond Washington (Chicklady) has the best R I Whites I have seen. I saw a picture of the Standard R I White for the new APA standard for the R I White. That is the birds you want to fix in your mind and then try to improve your strain to look like this painting.

Bob

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom