Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
Are these a pair of bantam BCMarans x Cochins ?
They look like they have bantam cochin head/neck, and big cochin bantam eyes...how do their feet/legs look ?
Feathered shanks like a BCM or feathered shanks and feet and toes like a cochin ?
Either way, they are a cute pair !

Light Braham large fowl good ones very very rare. Maybe only 6 to 10 people breed them anymore. The cost a bunch to raise and keep but so pretty and old. came to this country in 1850s.

http://www.pcdudes.com/buffs/lights/
Here are some that live in Minn. They dont get any better than this for color and shape. Also, a few bantams in there what a surpise.

Look at the fourth picture down a female. About as good as it gets. When she gets one more year on here she will be a super hen.

Punky Rooster those are some world class rock bantams. The color is fantastic. You did well on getting this trio from Mr. Roy.

Will be fun to see what your little ones look like next year.

Rare is not the word. They are the hardest color rock I can find for beginners. about three breeders have them now you are number four. bob

Last edited:
how about bantam SPPR I only know of 4 or five breeders of them
63711_picture_108.jpg

Quote:
Are these a pair of bantam BCMarans x Cochins ?
They look like they have bantam cochin head/neck, and big cochin bantam eyes...how do their feet/legs look ?
Feathered shanks like a BCM or feathered shanks and feet and toes like a cochin ?
Either way, they are a cute pair !

They are pure Copper Black Marans. They are hatched out of Wade Gene/Ron Presley stock. They hatched from my darkest eggs. I am expecting to get decent dark eggs. The male has more red on his chest than is in the standard, but the female has NO mossiness, and they both have correct foot feathering. She is missing her outer toe claws, which sometimes happens in feather footed breeds. She has very nice copper collar, better than what shows in the picture. Sometimes nice copper = lack of melanizer/mossiness, but she is A+++ in that area.

if we're going off individual colors of breeds, I got tons of those. Thought the OP was by bred in general though.
d'anvers for example, 2-3 colors are fairly common
I have 21 though, some , I am the only one with in the US.

This is the daddy bird to both those small marans. He is BIG, and gentle, and easy on the hens. Good GOOD roo. He is not usually so upright. There is a java roo on the other side of the white lattice and he was pacing back and forth in front of him, showing him who's boss. I have a pic of him hatching too, so I know exactly what color egg he hatched from too.

goodyspring10.jpg

Goody hatching. The flash washed out the egg color, it is regular copper black marans color, decent mahogany reddish.
imtryin.jpg

Well how interesting that it looks as if you do indeed have bantam BC Marans, but will their coupling produce bantams as well ?
Or LF ? That is a question ...

And the Light Brahmas in Minn !!!
Good grief they are spectacular !
I just posted this morning on our Washington thread, how my light brahmas underwent a super moult the end of this summer, and when their feathers grew back in, they have now severe pencilling from the back of their necks to their tails, it is awful...oh well, I got them just a broodies, not as breeders.
I wanted to ask if anyone who raises Brahmas has ever had this happen and will they continue to darken every moult ?

Last edited:
Quote:
I was just going to say that. . . I myself have a very rare color variety for its breed, plus you got to consider the people with new color varieties of Brahmas.
wink.png
Brahmas already, putting hatchery stock aside, are pretty rare - But silver, gold, buff, and blue laced red are especially rare.

There are a LOT of rare color varieties out there. Take Buff Cornish for example. . . . Only once ever heard of or seen a photo of one.

Quote:
I was just going to say that. . . I myself have a very rare color variety for its breed, plus you got to consider the people with new color varieties of Brahmas.
wink.png
Brahmas already, putting hatchery stock aside, are pretty rare - But silver, gold, buff, and blue laced red are especially rare.

There are a LOT of rare color varieties out there. Take Buff Cornish for example. . . . Only once ever heard of or seen a photo of one.

There are a few buff Cornish in California. (Anderson,Tomayo and someone else.) There will also be a buff Cornish illustration by Katherine Plumer in the new APA SOP. They are very rare! I don't see them anywhere else.

Walr

Back
Top Bottom