Rarest Chickens in the world.

cadams

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Tom Bean Tx
A third grade class at the school I work at asked me what the rarest breed of chicken was. I came up with sixty different breeds that were critical but as you know there's always one that wants to know which of them is the rarest. HELP!

bothe the greater and the lesser prarie chicken are listed as vunerable. And true Araucana are pretty rare too.

"Prairie chicken" is the common name given to a species of grouse native to the US. It is a wild species (Tympanuchus cupido), very different from domesticated chickens, though both are "galliformes." It's a "chicken" only in that its common name contains the word, probably because when settlers first discovered the species, they were "as common as chickens" across the prairies. Unfortunately, they're not nearly so now, and one subspecies -- the Heath Hen -- died out about a hundred years ago (can't remember exactly when...).

smile.png

On the Texas gulf coast we have specie of prarie chicken known as the attwater prarie chicken. They are struggling to survive. Fewer than 50 are known to exist in the wild but a 100 or so are captive and used in a breeding program to keep them alive. It doen't look good for them. Those 50 exist in a protected habitat and none are known to exist outside the preserve. It's a magnificent bird.

On the Texas gulf coast we have specie of prarie chicken known as the attwater prarie chicken. They are struggling to survive. Fewer than 50 are known to exist in the wild but a 100 or so are captive and used in a breeding program to keep them alive. It doen't look good for them. Those 50 exist in a protected habitat and none are known to exist outside the preserve. It's a magnificent bird.
It is too bad that some poultry breeders cannot help out by hatching eggs & helping breed more of these birds.
have you looked into this as maybe a possiblity ?
Of course you'd have to release any you hatch every year, and work with the Texas Dept of wildlife...but wouldn't it be awesomely rewarding ????
I'd love to participate in such a program.
Maybe you can !

Back
Top Bottom