Rasing Doves for Meat?

Coturnix would be better.
Why do you want to feed them to your dogs? Just curious.
I'd like to feed my dogs a homemade diet in the future (currently getting raw occasionally) and I'm apprehensive about buying meat from the grocery store (I dont like factory farms). Being able to raise meat/food animals would be an easier source of meat to aquire, and I would know how the animals were raised if that makes sense. I'm looking into getting meat from surrounding farms as well, but the choice of variety would be nice. And button quail are cute, so I wouldnt mind having them around. I wouldn't have to ask the city to keep them either as they are considered pet birds (as they would be kept indoors). Sorry if this seems to ramble on, I'm a bit tired today!

I'd like to feed my dogs a homemade diet in the future (currently getting raw occasionally) and I'm apprehensive about buying meat from the grocery store (I dont like factory farms). Being able to raise meat/food animals would be an easier source of meat to aquire, and I would know how the animals were raised if that makes sense. I'm looking into getting meat from surrounding farms as well, but the choice of variety would be nice. And button quail are cute, so I wouldnt mind having them around. I wouldn't have to ask the city to keep them either as they are considered pet birds (as they would be kept indoors). Sorry if this seems to ramble on, I'm a bit tired today!
That makes sense! It's ok.
You'll have to raise a lot of birds to get much meat though, lol!
Button quail are pretty adorable. ❤

That makes sense! It's ok.
You'll have to raise a lot of birds to get much meat though, lol!
Button quail are pretty adorable. ❤
True! I think with the amount of space they take up with the amount of feed they eat it wouldn't be terribly or expensive hard to raise a couple dozen? Maybe I'm not being realistic but I doubt they would eat very much. I have a feeling that many would end up just being pets who occasionally produce eggs :p

True! I think with the amount of space they take up with the amount of feed they eat it wouldn't be terribly or expensive hard to raise a couple dozen? Maybe I'm not being realistic but I doubt they would eat very much. I have a feeling that many would end up just being pets who occasionally produce eggs :p
Yeah, they won't end up eating too much.
They're definitely more pets than meat birds 🤣 but there will be a little bit of meat.
I'm not sure how much buttons lay, but I'm sure they'll lay some eggs.
Are you going to raise them from chicks?

Yeah, they won't end up eating too much.
They're definitely more pets than meat birds 🤣 but there will be a little bit of meat.
I'm not sure how much buttons lay, but I'm sure they'll lay some eggs.
Are you going to raise them from chicks?
A thread on here says about one a day, or 5 per week. And yep! I think that's the best option. Hatching eggs aren't terribly expensive and once I have adult birds laying eggs it shouldn't be too hard to get some fertile ones for the incubator :) How many birds do you think would be good? The cages I have are 47.16 x 23.62 x 19.68 inches each. The pans are large enough for me to sit (knees up) in them. I would only have one roo per cage, as I've read they fight. I wouldn't have to put too much money into starting with them as I have cages, a heat lamp w/bulb, a dimmer switch, and a fish tank w/ screen lid (for a brooder). Feeders, waterers and hides would be all I really need to buy I think. Not that it matters, I'm just thinking (typing) aloud

Edit: And an incubator of course!

Last edited:
Hello, I had been considering keeping pigeons for use as meat to feed us and the dogs
Interesting idea, but i would say your looking at 30+ pairs to even feed some dogs
The city says that pigeons are not allowed as they are fowl, but doves are allowed. Is it worth it to keep doves (domestic ringnecks) for meat?
the city is obviously loosy goosy, as pigeons are not classified under fowl. no, doves wouldn't be worth it...
Or should I try to write an exception letter for pigeons and present it to the city council?
If you want some pigeons for pets (or meat, but don't expect a lot of meat) just go for it. the city won't care... At least, mine doesn't. ;)
Do you think quail (coturnix) would produce better than pigeons?
yes, that would be a better option.
have you held a button quail? There would be no meat after you plucked them. It wouldn't be worth it... Haha.

But, if your looking for an excuse to get pets, then yes! Of course any of the birds mentioned are PERFECT for your needs!

Interesting idea, but i would say your looking at 30+ pairs to even feed some dogs

the city is obviously loosy goosy, as pigeons are not classified under fowl. no, doves wouldn't be worth it...

If you want some pigeons for pets (or meat, but don't expect a lot of meat) just go for it. the city won't care... At least, mine doesn't. ;)

yes, that would be a better option.

have you held a button quail? There would be no meat after you plucked them. It wouldn't be worth it... Haha.

But, if your looking for an excuse to get pets, then yes! Of course any of the birds mentioned are PERFECT for your needs!
Thanks for replying to my rambling! Pigeons aren't considered fowl? I thought they were for some reason. The city code says nothing about pigeons specifically. Than again she also said ringneck doves are considered wild animals and thus cannot be kept outdoors as they would "become a nuisance". There's at least two people in town who own horses (though they are on the edges of town) and the people down the street have/had chickens. Our city doesn't really enforce things I guess. I learned today that several people have indoor chickens As far as I know pigeons aren't loud, and if they were heard people would probably think they're the ringneck doves who sit on the powerlines. There's so many pretty varieties that I almost want them over quail, regardless of meat production. I had mentioned pigeons today and a freind said that their freinds grandparents (confusing I know) have pigeons in town so obviously they aren't too worried about it.

Pigeons aren't considered fowl?
Well, it depends on who you ask....

As you will find out, if you ask ten pigeon people the same question, you are going to get ten answers. And they will ALL be different.

But, I would say they are... But if I was questioned by the city, no, they aren't fowl... ;)

But, typically when a list of fowl is reviewed, pigeons do not exist on the list.

But, then fowl can also mean all birds, from hummingbirds to penguins.

So, I typically say they are, until it means fighting city codes. I know, I'm a hypocrite!

Well, it depends on who you ask....

As you will find out, if you ask ten pigeon people the same question, you are going to get ten answers. And they will ALL be different.

But, I would say they are... But if I was questioned by the city, no, they aren't fowl... ;)

But, typically when a list of fowl is reviewed, pigeons do not exist on the list.

But, then fowl can also mean all birds, from hummingbirds to penguins.

So, I typically say they are, until it means fighting city codes. I know, I'm a hypocrite!
Interesting! This is my email from the city asking about the legility of owning pigeons (show/meat breeds specifically). She attached the following document as well for the definition of livestock, though it doesn't mention fowl?

Attachments

• Snapchat-127524424.jpg
    Snapchat-127524424.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2021-03-04-20-33-01.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-04-20-33-01.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 10
Quail are better. Why they laying eggs almost every day. you can hatch when you need more. pigeon lay less egg. The pigeon needs one male and one female.
But quail one male and 4 females will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom