Rasing Shirimp For Meat? (QUESTIONS)

TheNeonPanther

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Conroe/Willis, Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I have been a bit interested in farming ever since I have joined BYC. I was going to start with meat rabbits but my mom loves rabbits too much so that was not a option.
One day I was eating some shrimp, and this made me think: "Wish I could have more shrimp, but they are so expensive." Then the lightbulb came on above my head..
"We have that pool, we have some water, salt is available (If they are not freshwater), we live somewhere that gets really warm, not a city ordinance against shrimp and the make no noise..AHA! Why can't we FARM them of course?" BUT..before I jump into something that I know little about, I decided to ask here.

What breed of shrimp or prawn would be warm hearty, make a good meal and what do they eat? I have so far been looking at the "Macrobrachium rosenbergii" prawns (?) for a while.
Also..are ghost shrimp baby shrimp? and would shrimp they be able to eat mosquito larva that get into the water? Thank you!

Last edited:
Because shrimp molt to grow, they are fairly sensitive to water quality and are much harder to grow than fish. I would contact your county extensions service and ask who is the nearest aquaculture extension agent that can help you. They will mostly likely give you advice for free and connect you with resources to get appropriate livestock if you are serious about this.

I raised the ghost and cherry shrimp in aquaria as ornamentals and they stay too small to eat. In my experience it would be much easier to raise some other fish (tilapia?) and sell them than to raise shrimp. I am now in to raising koi, but not to eat :)

Start small. There are some large crayfish that might fill the bill here, since you are in a warm climate. Freshwater species are the way to go here, mixing your own saltwater will make this endevour outrageously expensive. These will still be the most expensive meat you have ever eaten, so do it for fun, not to save money (or worse, expect to make money).

Try researching "australian freshwater lobsters" online.

First meat guinea pigs, now backyard shrimp... this forum has had a lot of interest in unusual livestock the past few days!

From my understanding, shrimp are difficult to raise, which is why they usually are not.

Crayfish might be easier, but be careful. Some crayfish can reproduce without a mate, so there is fear of them becoming invasive. Because of this, they are banned and illegal to own in some places.

Fish are going to be the easiest to raise, if you are open to it.

i have thought about raising crawfish but never shrimp! i like that your not afraid to try something new! And also i raise meat rabbits, and it don't matter how cute they are IF you can make them into something tasty
thumbsup.gif
Just let your mom have the breeders as pets. thats what iv been doing. You have to make it clear that the babies are not pets. If the meat rabbits doesn't work have fun with your fish!

i have thought about raising crawfish but never shrimp! i like that your not afraid to try something new! And also i raise meat rabbits, and it don't matter how cute they are IF you can make them into something tasty
thumbsup.gif
Just let your mom have the breeders as pets. thats what iv been doing. You have to make it clear that the babies are not pets. If the meat rabbits doesn't work have fun with your fish!
Thanks, any strange livestock I will go with! xD
Great suggestions on the rabbits! I just suggested that to her but she said she won't see the babies as food. Someday I might get some acreage and give it a go though!

I would recommend craw fish over shrimp also. Craw fish taste similar to shrimp and are much easier to raise. Just create a muddy beach like habitat. Make sure the water has lots of cliffs and hiding places, too. I would decently check to see if they are allowed. Make sure to be careful with craw fish. While I was fishing, a craw fish grabbed on to my thumb. I had to prey it off and it hurt for hours. They are easy to cook too. Just place the craw fish into boiling water and season. It will immediately die and will turn red.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom