Raspy breathing

eirwin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Today one of my hens is displaying the symptoms of raspy breathing and gurgling sounds . We've only had chickens for 2 1/2 years, and this is our first sick one. I have her isolated. I was doing research and came across Gapeworm. She is not breathing with her mouth open, but is making the rasping sounds and the gurgling. She also doesn't want to drink or eat and consequently is not pooping. I don't believe in going to extreme measures or expenses unless of course it is our favorite one. :) I need advise. How long do I give her to see if this clears up on its own? If I need to put her down, I just as soon do it sooner than later.
ReplyQuote Multi

I still have her isolated. She seems fine, except no eggs and breathing sounds. I have her in a big crate and during the day give her run of a small garage. She is eating and moving normal. I don't know what to think. A lady that raises chickens told me she had one of hers do the same thing and said it was the humidity. How long would I need to wait to see if this is something serious?

Update. Today she dropped two eggs within 2-3 hours of each other. The first one I found with some egg shell all over the garage floor. I was watching her and she acted like she needed to lay another egg. I went on the forum and when I got back to her she had dropped another one with soft shell separate from the egg or it probably separated when it dropped on the concrete garage floor. She seems perfectly normal now. No more rasping, noisy breathing. I put her back with the rest of the flock and all is well. I'm just happy I waited and read as much as I could about similar problems and didn't do anything drastic. This is a great Forum, but one has to weed through all the well meaning posts.

Last edited:
One of my RHode Island Reds sounds like this once in a while, She eats fine lays fine and runs around outside just like the others, I was worried at first but its been over a month and it comes and goes.

Back
Top Bottom