Rat dropping from poisoned rats.

As for the death of mountain lions from eating poisoned rats........that may have occurred, but the article left out another very real possibility, and that was that someone in that neighborhood intentionally poisoned the cats directly with poison laced baits. It happens more than you might think.

I know some folks that routinely use the fly bait in cola trick to kill coons and have even tried it on bears. What I find ironic about that is these are the same folks that never met a rule they didn't like and will get all up in your jammy if you break their moral code......which tends to be a bit elastic when it's their ox that is being gored.
Terrified of poisoning something else, I researched "secondary poisoning" before using it and the research I read said that the poison was no longer viable after ingestion by the primary recipient, or I would not have used it. So intentional poisoning of the mountain lions or accidental access to the poison makes more sense. Of course the accidental would be negligence.

Last edited:
To the OP, which poison? Brand or active ingredient?

So most poison bait blocks have a food coloring agent in them that might show up in the droppings. The question is what becomes of the poison? Is it absorbed in the gut, or does some of that pass through too? Good question and I don't know the answer. Sounds like a nice research project for someone with a lot of time on their hands. Is this a potential form of secondary poisoning? The reason for asking about the type........the risk would probably be greater for the potent one bite products.........except with those, logic would suggest not many feces will be dropped from those guys before they succumb.

So if it is one of the slower, warfarin based products.......there might be some residual in those, but it is slight relative to the size of anything that would eat the feces........and probably no harm done.

hi Howard E, thank you for that. the brand i used is called halt 50, the Active substance brodifacoum .005%. not sure if this helps. it would definitely be a good research project. but i would agree you would need time. ye, i was thinking the same, that is just the die that is passed and not the poison.

That's where I have been looking. That would be awful to have to open the box, but I won't use poison so I really don't have a choice other than the 22.

shooting them is an option for me. firearms in this country are not the easiest to get. i already have two but they are too big for shooting rats. well the shotgun would be fine, but it would scare the bejesus out of the hens and goats. even if i wanted an air rifle i need to apply for a license and wait three months. and pay the license fee every three years.

And they work then where do you take them. over to your neighbors property? lol I'd assume you'd have to take them pretty far? I have wild bird feeders out because I like to feed the wild birds and it also discourages then from eating my flocks feed, but these wood rats are so bold they come out in the daylight and eat any sunflower seeds the birds drop. So it's time to do something plus I have seen rat dropping inside the flocks property too. Just not sure what to do with this live rat I catch. lol

shooting them is an option for me. firearms in this country are not the easiest to get. i already have two but they are too big for shooting rats. well the shotgun would be fine, but it would scare the bejesus out of the hens and goats. even if i wanted an air rifle i need to apply for a license and wait three months. and pay the license fee every three years.
Are you in the states? Yep one reason I don't want to use the 22 which my dh said would work. Because of the birds and dogs too.

Are you in the states? Yep one reason I don't want to use the 22 which my dh said would work. Because of the birds and dogs too.

hi miss Lydia, i live in Ireland. i was going to get a 22, at least it would be more multipurpose. i could get one for the same price as an air rifle. plus i still need to wait three months and pay the fees. but i could shoot rabbits. and other small game. but in my small acre plot the 22 might be abit dangerous. small bullets can go far.

Yep have to be careful where those bullets might end up. Are you over run with rabbits? Coyotes and foxes keep them in check here. and in summer our blk snakes that can get to 5-6' long keep the rodents in check but winter we have no help. lol

Back
Top Bottom