Rat had worms in belly! Pics VERY GROSS

SouthernBelle84

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
MS
I just wanted to share this little bit of info with everyone. We live on about 200 acres of land with pretty much fields and just a lil bit of woods. Sometimes when I'm at my chicken barn I see a rat or two trying to get themselves some free food. :mad: Yesterday I seen one running around outside the barn and I got my hubby to shoot it. Well we all know how chickens are with mice if they kill one they will run around with it dangling outa their mouth while 2 or 3 others chase them trying to get it. Then they sit there and peck it shreds. I have also heard of hens eating the whole thing at one time. Anyways I got a rake and was going to dispose of it before it was spotted. Well when I was picking it up I noticed something moving on it. (It was shot with a 22 so u can imagine what kinda whole it had in it)coming from the stomach was a bunch of white with a pinkish tint WORMS!!!!
sickbyc.gif
So I run to the barn and get some gloves, a razor, headlight, tweezers....and u can only guess where it went from there....yes I dissected it!
ep.gif
There were several roundworms in his stomach and tapeworms it was sooooo gross! So if chicken was to peck at some of the rat poo and picked up an egg (which would more than likely be the case) it's infected. the tapeworms eggs look like rice and my girls love rice. I can't even imagine what would happen if a chicken at a whole rat infested like this one. I am getting wormer today to worm everyone. Best to my knowledge humans, dogs and cats can get both of these worms also. So im worming the dog too. If anyone cares to see I posted some pics of the worms. They are really really gross! We have tried different things to keep them out but they just keep coming back....guess they hubby has to sit night watch for awhile with his 22!
caf.gif
LOL yeah right! I just wanted to let people taking barn rats lightly know.....DONT. They will also bite chicks and hens and eat eggs. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

SHANNON

11874_worms.jpg

11874_worms2.jpg

Last edited:
Something like this happened to me when i was Turkey hunting. I antecedently broke the stomach when I was field cleaning a bird and I got to see some pretty big tapeworms...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom