Rat infestation in the run

I must be accidentally training the smartest wild rats around here. We have locked bait stations - the rats don't go for it. Electric traps - they won't go in. Glue traps (which I only got as a "last resort") - apparently they're deterred by the scent of the glue and simply won't go near them.

We happened to catch a previous rat while it was inside the coop and managed to dispatch it in there.

At least I do seem to get only 1 rat at a time, they're just super persistent.

It will take them a week or more to start taking the chunx. They are uber cautious.

In four years of using chunx poison only one dead rodent was found above ground. A chipmunk was on the lawn. I disposed of it to trash on route to chicken coop in morning.

It will take them a week or more to start taking the chunx. They are uber cautious.

In four years of using chunx poison only one dead rodent was found above ground. A chipmunk was on the lawn. I disposed of it to trash on route to chicken coop in morning.
i ordered a bait station from amazon today. do you actually have the bait station in the run or do you keep them external from the the chicken environment ?

Last edited:
i ordered a bait station from amazon today. do you actually have the bait station in the run or do you keep them external from the the chicken environment ?

We have had a problem with rats too. We purchased a rat poison from Meyer Hatchery and I have to say (knock on wood) it works wonders. We do have dogs so we put them in areas where we have seen evidence of rats but not where the dogs or chickens can get them. The product is very reasonably priced too. Just a suggestion that we found helped a lot.

Good luck

We have had a problem with rats too. We purchased a rat poison from Meyer Hatchery and I have to say (knock on wood) it works wonders. We do have dogs so we put them in areas where we have seen evidence of rats but not where the dogs or chickens can get them. The product is very reasonably priced too. Just a suggestion that we found helped a lot.

Good luck

Do you have a link to it ?

Do you have a link to it ?

I couldn't get the link to work but I took 2 screen shoots of it.

put the birds up in a different pen, and pull thier feed at night. Then in the old pen put Decon feed containers and watch the little scavengers gag!

Back
Top Bottom