Rat Problem

Pics
I had the same rat problem as you. I just recently got a semi wild farm cat. I haven't seen any rats or mice since I got it. I think it's the smell from the cat that really deters the rodents.

Sorry I’m new to this site I think I replied at the bottom of originators request for help. Anyway, suggestions on fixing the rat holes?

This is the best article ever, for getting rid of rodents! I highly suggest not to use poison, by reasons listed in this article, please read it! https://backyardchickenproject.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats-in-the-chicken-coop-the-definitive-guide/
I read that article last month when I found rats living the high life in the run. I’m at fix the rat holes stage. Not looking forward to it at all. Did you fix yours the same as the article suggests with steel wool then hardware wire?

Hi i was going to comment on an issue that could arise if u remove the rats food source but dont kill the rats, when u asked the question. I.e. yes rats can & sometimes do attack chickens, esp with no other food source available. I have plenty of snake species around that keep rodent population under control during the warm months. But every winter i do use poison. In the sheds, under my house, & in the coops behind the layer boxes where chickens cant access. I also have dogs, & also barred owls in the woods, but after reading so many horror stories about coops being invaded by rats, i decided poison during the cold months to keep rodent population from taking hold was the only realistic way to go.
Did you fix your rat holes and how did you do it? I’m open to suggestions. Once I do this I’m letting the girls out into their covered run. They’ve been free ranging during the day for a month while I’ve been starving the rats out of the run and allowing the cats and dogs to freely wonder in —no new rat holes.

Advice please?

My chicken run is invaded with rats. I shot one with my pellet gun ( and I'm almost 100% sure it died ) and trapped one with my old rat trap ( 100% dead, sorry no pics) There are a lot of rat holes and stuff where they are happily eating left over chicken food in my run EVERY NIGHT. The security like I have (which I originally put up to alert me when a raccoon came) comes on like....20 times per night! I'm looking for advice, not a fight on different traps that people use, etc. Your ideas are welcome, but please NO arguing!
Tractor supply sells these rodent repellent sacs you can hang around coop. Made feom essential oils. Not sure if they will work. But double check on safety for the chickens

I also highly suggest the rat proof feeder suggested in the article! I love mine and it totally does the job! Waste proof, weather proof, rust proof, water proof, tip proof, rat proof, holds a bunch of feed, and easy to teach to use! Be aware though, it does ship from New Zealand though, so may take awhile to come.
That IS the best feeder ever! We got ours over 4 years ago when we first got chickens and it looks and performs like new. Best money we ever spent. I know it was over $200. then, but it's gone way down in price. You can get it for US $135. AND FREE SHIPPING:
https://www.grandpasfeeders.com/product/standard-chicken-feeder/
By the way, we have NEVER had a mouse or rat in our coop or run.

So far, the only way I have found to get rid of rats is to “rat proof” the chicken coop and run. Small hardware cloth around the run and apron and close up any holes. A cat is an added security. Otherwise, I think it is a constant battle between you and the rats.

Victor suggests that you set them up for a few days with bait so the varmints get used to having a free lunch and then turn them on. We have never done that and even use generic peanut butter. Obviously they aren't connasours.
That works for most any predator. If you let them take the bait for a few days then set the trap you will catch the predator.

Back
Top Bottom