Rat Proof Feeder Recommendation?

WitchChick

Chirping
Nov 26, 2011
So, a rat has been in my feeder for a few nights in a row. :( I stopped up any holes today, but I think it is time for a rat proof feeder before they get comfy.

I have done some research, there are so many versions, but every time I find one in my budget, the reviews are not great. Stuck chutes, rats still getting in, etc.

I only have 6 chickens, they are all full sized. I hope to get chicks in the spring, but by the time they integrate, they should be heavy enough to open the feeder. I see some with "poles" vs. the wider area for hens to step on.

Who is happy with their rat proof feeder? Please share!
Thanks!

I prefer the Ratproof Feeder made by @Al Gerhart as it is not a guillotine style. I've had one for a few months and it works great.

Thanks RojoMarz, appreciate the kind words. You can always tell who follows the instructions after they buy a feeder, they like the feeder!

Now as a typical "man" I do admit to not risking my man card on occasion by reading instructions but treadle feeders can be a bit non intuitional and logic doesn't work on chickens. Follow the instructions, have the spring in the right place on the wire link so it actually holds the door tightly shut, adjust the spring for your birds and your feeder, fasten it securely to a wall or post, and make sure the treadle bottoms out on something. Those that do that on any treadle feeder are going to be better off even with a poorly designed feeder. Even with a guillotine style feeder.

Is there a way to alter the treadle on your feeders so that it works for ducks?
7E2D7D31-73D9-45D3-8160-E40E54368753.jpeg

Here is how I adapted mine. I used 3/8” PVC sheet material sold at my local Home Depot. Fully waterproof and rigid enough for the ducks.

A strange situation occurred with my spell checker!!
we had an issue here in the uk with rats eating our 7 girls food
We have two galvanised troughs that hang on the wall of the pen for layer pellets and a hanging container for corn
Rats have continued to be an issue so we concreted around the whole perimeter of the pen down to 18inches
Still tunnels and missing food continued!
We discovered ‘when I met a rat whilst raking straw in the pen) that we had concreted the rat and it’s nest inside the pen where it had been living quite happily! A gun shot later and bye bye ratty, tunnels and missing food!

Thanks RojoMarz, appreciate the kind words. You can always tell who follows the instructions after they buy a feeder, they like the feeder!

Now as a typical "man" I do admit to not risking my man card on occasion by reading instructions but treadle feeders can be a bit non intuitional and logic doesn't work on chickens. Follow the instructions, have the spring in the right place on the wire link so it actually holds the door tightly shut, adjust the spring for your birds and your feeder, fasten it securely to a wall or post, and make sure the treadle bottoms out on something. Those that do that on any treadle feeder are going to be better off even with a poorly designed feeder. Even with a guillotine style feeder.
Is there a way to alter the treadle on your feeders so that it works for ducks?

So, a rat has been in my feeder for a few nights in a row. :( I stopped up any holes today, but I think it is time for a rat proof feeder before they get comfy.

I have done some research, there are so many versions, but every time I find one in my budget, the reviews are not great. Stuck chutes, rats still getting in, etc.

I only have 6 chickens, they are all full sized. I hope to get chicks in the spring, but by the time they integrate, they should be heavy enough to open the feeder. I see some with "poles" vs. the wider area for hens to step on.

Who is happy with their rat proof feeder? Please share!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom