RAT SNACK!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Will a rat snack kill my chickens? Okay, so here is the rest of the story. Recently we got some rats that have decided to live in our coop, they are living in the walls. We are trying to get rid of the rat thing but, easier said then done. You never see the rats in the day you can only hear them. Well today I was done in the coop and all of a sudden I saw a rat run out of the wall.
hu.gif
That is odd the only come out at night. Well I started trying to get rid of the rat and I looked down and at the same wall there was a snake tail going into the wall. I couldn't see that much of the snake but, I think it is a rat snake. I know the snake is after the rats but, will it kill my chickens too. Please help I am very sad and nervous. I couldn't get rid of the snake because, it went into the wall. Not to mention I was scared and didn't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
hit.gif
:hit

Thanks,
Michelle

Depends on how big the snake is and how big your chickens are. If there chicks then yes. Especially if they are the size of the rats. Rat snakes will also eat eggs.

Rats will bite the heads off smaller chickens as well as nibble on toes and legs of older chickens. They will also eat and carry off eggs.

Owned snakes of all sorts before I had chickens

Oh Boy! Not trying to scare you but....I had a rat snake that ate my babies then tried to eat one of my silkies. Sugar the silkie was too big so it couldn't swallow her. It was terrible! So beware!
I just caught a rat snake by the coop in the black deer netting last week.You can get the netting at Tractor Supply for around $20. I was told and now I know it to be true that the snakes get wrapped up in the deer netting. There is also another post on here of someone who uses a wire fish cage. It's a recent post. I think it's titled" the best way to catch a snake." Definitely get rid of the rats. THey harbor Mites, disease that will transfer to your poultry. It also helps to make sure you collect the eggs everyday and don't let them stay in the coop over night. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

If I have little chicks, I cage them in a snake/rat proof cage until they're big enough to avoid the snakes. Rat snakes are GOOD snakes. Haven't seen a single rat or mouse in ages, even better, they eat the huge flying roaches we get!

Goldie, the hen in my avatar? She steps over 6 foot rat snakes like it's no big deal. And she's a teeny tiny bantam Cochin.

ETA, rat snakes will steal eggs, so collect eggs as often as you can, lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Mr. Pekin.....A rat snake ate my white silkie, Sugar. She was your typical silkie hen...but none the less....the snake tried to eat her and she wouldn't fit down his throat.
hit.gif
So, yes, they do eat birds larger than chicks...
sad.png

sorry op I wasn't trying to hijack the thread...just wanted everyone to know they can cause death to others. Good luck!

They try to eat larger birds. Sounds like the snake couldn't get the job done. But it did manage to kill the chicken. Wonder why to chicken let that happen?

On the snakes, I've been known to catch rat snakes on the road and bring them home to put under the house. They do the job, but like your deal, they do go overboard sometimes.

Do you have rats or mice. When I hear rat, I think of the wharf rats we had in Mobile. Those rats I think would kill the snakes.

I just got on as a new member today because of a terrible scare we had last night due to a black rat snake. We came home from a movie and went out to shut up the coop around 9:45pm. I took a flashlight to check food and water inside before closing the door. What I saw was terrible! Our black wyandotte was stretched out on the floor of the coop with a snake coiled around her neck. I couldn't tell at first what kind of snake, but was so mad, I jumped at it and hit it with the flashlight. After a few hits it let go and slithered away. Blackie struggled up and finally recovered - looks fine today - but what happened here? My husband came out and we were able to get the snake out, but I fear it will be back. Why would it go for a bird WAY too large to eat? So YES! Black rat snakes DO kill chickens!

Back
Top Bottom