Rat Snake..should I worry?

They come for the rodents that you are feeding and stay for the eggs. Solve the rodent problem and the snake is forced to earn an honest living chasing mice and rats in the wild. Wild predators are rarely a problem until the flock owner attracts them by feeding rodents.
I agree to a point if there are rodents then there are going to be snakes too. Snakes however are frequently found in barns and sheds where there is no feed to attract rodents. Rodents may well be in those places for shelter though

Rats will live within 20 to 30 feet of their main feed source, mice about half that. Reason is that predators will pick them off traveling so they tend to build a burrow or nest close to the food. So if you have a barn with rats, there is food for them. It takes a pretty good size territory to feed a rat without a constant unnatural food source.

My girls have found a few small garter snakes. We will see about poisonous snakes in a few minutes. I just got back from the Vet.
My dog was bitten this morning and I had to drive 45 minutes to the emergency Vet as my Vet is out of town this weekend. The other Vet in town was closed today. My chickens get to free range for an hour most evenings. I will keep a close eye on them and step in when they call out the alarm. They have called out a warning the last few snake's they have found. I have rat shot in the pistol.

I catch them and put them in my garage, wood shed and spring house each spring.

Even the biggest rat snake can't harm an adult chicken. Chicks and eggs are a concern so protect them until they sre an adequate size.

Caught this guy in yhe yard today while mowing (5ft 9"). I put him up a pine tree until I was finished to protect him. He's my mouse trap for the well house and came out to sun himself.

Attachments

• 20200524_162203.jpg
    20200524_162203.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 9
Found these two 6 footers in the yard tonight also. Couldn't tell if they were mating or fighting. Most of the time they were just intertwined and rubbing on each other. The rest of the time they were definitely pushing against each other and rising off the ground to slam each other down.

FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Attachments

• 20200524_214657.jpg
    20200524_214657.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom