Rate of lay - what is reasonable for 18 birds?

imthedude

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
CO
Howdy all. We have 18 layers - 5 that are between 12 and 18 months old and 13 that are between 6 and 8 months old. We've been getting about 12-14 eggs a day for a while now. An average of twelve a day means that each bird is laying 2 out of 3 days or at least 4 days a week. I will occasionally find an egg buried in the shavings, and I have found a couple under the coop, but I think for the most part they are all laying in the boxes for me to find. Does this seem like a reasonable amount given the birds in my signature line? They're all supposed to be strong laying breeds, and I sort of expected to get a few more than this.

That seems like a very good amount to me, especially if they are a heritage breed. If they are a production hens (Leghorns, Sex-Links, etc..) I still wouldn't expect many more. That is what I have to say, hope it helps! MW

12 from 18 is 67% 14 from 18 is 77%. Those are great numbers. I get 7/8 a day from 10 on average. they throw a 5 in every now and then just to get my scruff up. Got a Buff that just started laying 5 days ago but her eggs are tiny and havent counted her in the daily tally.

Mine don't give as many as I was expecting either and I have production reds and black sexlinks among the many dual purpose breeds in my flock. On a great day I get 23 eggs for 28 hens. 16-18 on other days.

thanks all for the replies. just now checked back to see what kind of responses i got, and i guess i should be grateful to the ladies. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom