Rate of lay - what is reasonable for 18 birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imthedude, Sep 7, 2011.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Howdy all. We have 18 layers - 5 that are between 12 and 18 months old and 13 that are between 6 and 8 months old. We've been getting about 12-14 eggs a day for a while now. An average of twelve a day means that each bird is laying 2 out of 3 days or at least 4 days a week. I will occasionally find an egg buried in the shavings, and I have found a couple under the coop, but I think for the most part they are all laying in the boxes for me to find. Does this seem like a reasonable amount given the birds in my signature line? They're all supposed to be strong laying breeds, and I sort of expected to get a few more than this.

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    That seems like a very good amount to me, especially if they are a heritage breed. If they are a production hens (Leghorns, Sex-Links, etc..) I still wouldn't expect many more. That is what I have to say, hope it helps! MW

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:X2 that is a solid amount of eggs

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    That sounds about right to me!

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    12 from 18 is 67% 14 from 18 is 77%. Those are great numbers. I get 7/8 a day from 10 on average. they throw a 5 in every now and then just to get my scruff up. Got a Buff that just started laying 5 days ago but her eggs are tiny and havent counted her in the daily tally.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Mine don't give as many as I was expecting either and I have production reds and black sexlinks among the many dual purpose breeds in my flock. On a great day I get 23 eggs for 28 hens. 16-18 on other days.

7. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    thanks all for the replies. just now checked back to see what kind of responses i got, and i guess i should be grateful to the ladies. thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by