Rather Concerned here!!!!

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
The other day I gave my 28 chicks, about 3 weeks old a half honeydew melon. After asking you about this it was advised that I not get carried away with fruits, treats etc at this age. I went to take it away But I was a little too late cuz it was already all gone!

I am concerned about some of my chicks today as they don't seem to be acting the same. More fluffed up and sleepy! Does this mean my chicks have been harmed in some way by eating this melon, is something wrong, I am very concerned about my babies! Should I do something? Help I am worried, not freakin yet but close to it!!!

Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Could be that they are starting to come down with coccidiosis. The melon probably has nothing to do with it. Fluffed up/hunched up is usually a sign that it's time to dose them with Corid (concentrated Amprolium). Look for hamburgery/mucousy poop, though that may not be happening yet. Have they touched the ground yet? If so, sure could be cocci. If not, I don't know.

did you take out the seeds? if not, did you give grit? The seeds are the only thing I would be concerned about at that age.

They may have the runs but they should be just fine, the fruit shouldn't hurt them. A little fruit is fine, it keeps them occupied, just don't overdue it. Better to give them eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am just scared of losing any of these babies! I had good luck with my first batch, these ones that are not almost 4 weeks now.
But did lose two of my babies the first few days, they are just over a week now. The one little one had leg troubles and the other one was very very tiny!

All my chicks are cochin bantams, extra little chicks!

I didn't even know that there were seeds in the melon, didn't see any. Please think good thoughts for all my babies!

If they're not on medicated feed, this might be a good time to go that way. I lost a couple of chicks to coccidiosis - one early on and one much later in a gruesome way (cecal coccidiosis - really, really not pleasant).

This is the time to medicate.

Once they're over the hump, it's great to build their health naturally with whole foods and grass/sun/fresh air/exercise.

Quote:
Does it matter my chicks were vaccinated for cocci, can they still get it? I have been giving them organic chick feed but do have medicated feed for my other babies that were not vaccinated for cocci. How were your chicks when they got sick?
Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions. I have been waiting for the weather to get nicer it has been in the 60s during the day and thought this would not be warm enough for chicks less than a month old. Today I dug out a clump of grass with a bunch of dirt on it, i left it in for a little while but then took it out.
Oh I know that is all good stuff for the chicks.

If you didn't see seeds then no problem. Do not give medicated feed if they were vaccinated, it will take away the vaccination, I am saying this weird but hopefully you understand. I don't know if the vaccination give 100% protection.

Yes I understand that. It does help tho I'm sure, right.
I just gave my chicks the plain yogurt teaspoonfuls on top of their starter and they all went for it, even the littleone I'm worried about! I just
love.gif
my chicks! I hope everything will be ok! should I give them more tomorrow or how often?

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom