Ratio for male to female bobwhites

Sethc

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
I have six males and 14 females in one coop and I have heard it should be one male to two or three females. So that's what I have but my females are getting hurt and a large amount of feathers plucked out so I am not sure what to do.

I have six males and 14 females in one coop and I have heard it should be one male to two or three females. So that's what I have but my females are getting hurt and a large amount of feathers plucked out so I am not sure what to do.
I'm confused do you have them separated into pairs or trios now or are they still loose in a group?

Bobs need to be paired off, 1 male to 1 female. Unlike Coturnix, Bobwhites mate for life with 1 bird. Now, if you have HUGE SPACES SUCH AS AVIARIES, you can keep these pairs together as long as they can get away from each other. But if you keep them in a small pen, do not keep them in anything but pairs. A lone female with a mated pair can be killed.

Bobs need 4 square foot per bird.

( I capitalized the "HUGE SPACES" part of this post because there will be people come on here that DO keep Bobs in large aviaries that keep many pairs together. This is not directed toward this type of environment. This suggestion is for small pen kept Bobs.)

All this being said, during the non breeding season, Fall thru Spring, Bobs enjoy the winter covey and you can mix all your birds back together as long as you are not adding light for forced laying.

You can however, keep all males together or all females together during breeding season. They all must be out of eye sight of each other however to keep the piece. 4 square feet per bird.

Back
Top Bottom