Rats - a new way to erradicate them.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stonerowfarm, May 27, 2010.

1. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    One of our coops is a 10 x 12 shed that has been insulated for the bantys in the winter. Well, sure enough a couple rats made their way into the ceiling of the coop a few months ago. We knew they were in there, but they avoided the traps at all costs and obviously multipled a lot. Finally after surprising four of them in the coop the other day, DH came up with the bright idea to gas them. I hate the idea of killing anything, but realized that this is an out-of-control problem and it was necessary. I put all the chickens in the run and he hooked up a hose to the car, going into the coop. After running the car for two hours 12 rats total came out of the walls and went to a final sleep. He assures me it's a silent death and it was effective. Obviously this wouldn't work in a larger barn but it was quite effective in our smaller coop. Much cleaner than snap traps and no worries about secondary poisoning.

2. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    problem solved [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I moved intoa house once with rats in the garage, I put an aluminum pie pan out filled with Coca Cola. No more rats!

4. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    THAT IS GENIUS!!! props for that one!! gr8 job!!

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have used a mud hog pump for under a large shed small barn we pumped water forced a buncha groundhogs out we dealt with them with firearms after they were out

having been asphyxiated once it did not hurt at all I felt as though I was just going to sleep no pain

6. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    wolftracks
    Yesterday 1:14 pm
    I moved intoa house once with rats in the garage, I put an aluminum pie pan out filled with Coca Cola. No more rats!

What does the aluminum tray with coke do to the rats ????????

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Something in the Cola causes intestines or stomach??? something to hemorage.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Something in the Cola causes intestines or stomach??? something to hemorage.

What if the rats put up a sign "We like Pepsi better!"???? How are we going to deal with that?[​IMG]

I find it hard to believe!

9. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Are you serious? Coca Cola kills rats when served in an aluminum pan?
    are you sure they didn't just leave for a garage serving Pepsi or Root Beer?

Where did you hear of that solution? I'd love to read more.
    Will Coca Cola hurt anything else? like dogs or chickens?
    not that they would drink it... but...

10. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:Are you serious? Coca Cola kills rats when served in an aluminum pan?
    are you sure they didn't just leave for a garage serving Pepsi or Root Beer?

Where did you hear of that solution? I'd love to read more.
    Will Coca Cola hurt anything else? like dogs or chickens?
    not that they would drink it... but...

This was enough for me to be convinced:

The Disappearing Penny!

Materials:
    recent (1982 or later) Penny
    Cup
    Coca Cola

In this experiment, you can either clean another dirty penny... or make it disappear entirely! And we
    mean REALLY disappear! Here’s how:
    Drop a dirty penny into a cup and pour some Coca Cola or other carbonated soda into the cup. Look
    at it again a day later: the penny has been cleaned! Want to make the penny disappear completely? Put
    the penny in a cup of Coke and leave it there for approximately 10 days. Then pour off the coke
    (DON’T drink it), and look: the penny has completely dissolved away! Now think about your teeth
    and your stomach when you drink a soda pop. Hmmmm.... How did it do that?
    (The zinc which makes up the body of the penny beneath the copper jacket is ionized into a zinc
    'salt' by the chemicals in the carbonated soda.)

But I'd have been more impressed if the rats around the pie pan had DISSOLVED. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by