Rats, anybody?

DragonChicky

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Does anyone own rats? I think they are EXTREMELY adorable! I used to own 6 but now I'm down to one, who isn't his best right now
sad.png

I had 3 Blue Dumbo rats (VERY sweet!), 1 mixed Fancy rat (him and the Dumbo's were brothers), 1 black Hoodied rat and I still have the brown Hoodied rat, who was possibly a brother to the black hoodie.

And I'm gonna get more! I'm on a waiting list.

I used to have a 3 pet rats. Two dumbo blue wilds and one regular blue hooded. They are way better pets than gerbils and hamsters! I'd like to find a dumbo tailless. I loved the rats, but never could love the tails. Ha!

I have 2 Jumbo rats and they are mean as snot. I was not told that when they were given to me. My kids can not hold them or even put there hands in the cage. One has took a good chunk out of my dd's finger. So needless to say they are looking for a new home.

Last edited:
I had pet mice and rats the whole time I was growing up and into my 20's. My favorite was an albino female I named "Boo Boo". She was really sweet. You have to tame them when they're little or they can be difficult. But they are very intelligent and curious.
smile.png

love.gif
I love rats and mice
love.gif

My last rat colony has died out now. I had 5 blue hooded dumbos, 4 hairless, a PEW and 3 REW. They were great.

My mouse colony was huge. This colony started because I was looking at crickets for the chickens and saw a CUTE mouse in the feeder cage. It has a heart on the side. Was told it was a male and we got a male friend. "Charlie" the heart one, had 9 babies. We then bought some from a breeder. We ended up dividing the mail and females so they would stop breeding. We had 28 females and then about 15 males. The girls were in a 55 gallon tank, and the boys in a 45. We tried cages, but we had a few that could escape EVERYTHING. They had their toys and adored frozen corn. There is one left now and I think its close to her end. She's a PEW.

we've had rats, we bred rats for a while, I had a rat that i had bottle fed since she was 10 days old have babies once, she was so calm about me handling them, unfortunately she died of were guessing heat stroke since it was hot.

our last rat just died about a month ago, he was so big and sweet, no more for a while though.

Quote:
Oh, thats a shame
sad.png
The very sad truth is, though, when most pet rats are ready to rehome, if they aren't claimed in time, then they're usually put to sleep.

Quote:
Wow, thats quite alotta mice! I don't mind mice, I could quite happily keep some, but to be honest, I think they're too small, and if one escapes, then it'd be HELL to find it. But overall, they're just like mini rats
big_smile.png

We have two black rats and love them. Been so busy I know they wonder where we are, because we messed with them every day this winter, and I have been just feeding, cleaning and talking to them this past couple of weeks. . .they are neat and clean and fun to mess with . . .I think they are better than Hamsters and guinea pigs . . .I don't mind their tails, but most everyone who comes here and sees them have a spasm. Sighhhhhh . . .

Back
Top Bottom