rats as predators

pinkwindsong

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Laurens SC
hi all,
We live in the counrty and have feild rats the size of chihuahua'a and bigger. we breed dogs so they eat the dog food, so they are really healthy and shiny. we are selling all the dogs and closing the kennel , my mom is just getting too old to breed and keep dogs.( chihuahua's, italian greyhounds, corgi's if anyone is interested in akc toys) I bought my mom 6 wayndottes , she wants to have something to look after, ( shes had pea fowl for years, in the past) shes worried about the rats getting in the coop and killing the chickens, ( I have them at my house as chicks now) but when the dogs are gone they wont have the dog food to eat? I can see them going after the chicken food but will they chew into the coop and harm the chickens. I know rats can get into anything they want? just a bit worried but at the same time ready to get rid of the field rats too.
thank you
Pink and MOM, sheila

thanks for helping
)O(
Pink

They will most definitely get into the coop, they will spread mites & lice and leave droppings all over that your chickens will eat, , they will empty the feeders at night while your birds are roosting, and they will eat baby chicks as many as they can get. If allowed to they will destroy your chickens and make everything a hassle.

my suggestion: get a cat
big_smile.png

rats arent going to hang around if you have a cat in the coop....my neighbor up the road asks don't you have rats when we open the coop they scatter like cockroaches...I said nope i got a kitten (now a momma cat) and put it in the coop with the chickens she has 3 6week old kittens right now and never had a problem....needless to say he is taking one of the kittens in a couple of weeks.....even though he doesn't like cats but hates rats worse
smile.png

Poison will also kill your chickens, and any other animal (including pets) that eat the dead poisoned rats. The best (and only) natural predators of rats are opossoms and owls. Of course, both will choose chicken dinner over rat dinner, so you need to protect your chickens. However, I strongly advise against poison. Two ways of dissuading rats from showing up in the first place are to use a hanging feeder (filled daily, NOT weekly or longer so there isn't much feed available to attract rats) and using an impenetrable coop floor and walls up to 12 inches...either concrete/cinder blocks or very, very fine HEAVY DUTY grid wire. Unfortunately, most cats won't bother with rats, as rats are omnivores and fight back. Rats are NASTY!

Last edited:
Quote:
That doesn't always work tho. My barn cats would take care of the rats when they got out where they could get them, but even shutting cats in my coops and runs didn't get rid of the rats. I finally resorted to poison which has worked well.

Sorry but not accurate here, there are good poisons that have no residual effects if eaten. There is some poisons that farmers use that are safe for scavengers feeding on rodent carrion.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom