rats as predators

Quote:

Sorry but it is your information that isn't accurate. There ABSOLUTELY isn't ANY poison without a secondary kill affect. There are "new" poisons with that claim, but they've been found to be false advertising. There simply is no such thing as safe poison.

As previously posted rats will indeed kill every baby chick they can, I have even had fiels rats kill and drag off good sized ducklings. Almost cleaned me out before I witnessed them doing it! A couple of years ago at one of my coops rats had dug borrows under it and set up housekeeping. They became tuned into the sound of whole corn rattling in a bucket and hardly waited until I was out of sight til half a dozen would come out for a feast. I made a great game of sitting a little ways off and shooting them with a scoped .22 rifle. Finally cleaned them out with a poison that I placed down in their burrows safely away from my chickens. Take care of them ASAP as they tend to breed like...rats!

Quote:

Sorry but it is your information that isn't accurate. There ABSOLUTELY isn't ANY poison without a secondary kill affect. There are "new" poisons with that claim, but they've been found to be false advertising. There simply is no such thing as safe poison.

Bait
Chemical-free rodent bait is commonly available. After ingestion, the rats become dehydrated, which causes thickening of the blood and circulatory collapse. No toxins are left in the rat's body to harm to owls, dogs, cats or other animals that may play with or eat the corpse. To be effective, the bait must be the only food source available to the rat, so secure any bird feed or grain prior to use. Always wear protective gloves when working with rat control items, whether poisonous or not.

Read more: Environmentally Safe Rat Poison | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6713839_environmentally-safe-rat-poison.html#ixzz1LmFNZ0br

Quote:

After decades of having chickens I was invaded by rats for the first time ever about 18 months ago.

I "fought" them with every safe method that I could find or read about. None of them worked.

After much research, including talking to numerous vets they said that depending on size most cats and dogs would have to eat many, many dead rats to ingest enough of the poison to do them any harm. The reason I didn't use it for a very long time was I didn't want my cats and dogs ending up dead. I purchased locking bait boxes and placed them in 6 of my runs. Now after a month of having the poison out, I see no new rat activity....and also no dead cats or dogs.

Used responsilbly I think it's a safe method to get rid of rats. I certainly wish I had done it sooner.

Quote:

After decades of having chickens I was invaded by rats for the first time ever about 18 months ago.

I "fought" them with every safe method that I could find or read about. None of them worked.

After much research, including talking to numerous vets they said that depending on size most cats and dogs would have to eat many, many dead rats to ingest enough of the poison to do them any harm. The reason I didn't use it for a very long time was I didn't want my cats and dogs ending up dead. I purchased locking bait boxes and placed them in 6 of my runs. Now after a month of having the poison out, I see no new rat activity....and also no dead cats or dogs.

Used responsilbly I think it's a safe method to get rid of rats. I certainly wish I had done it sooner.

this sounds promising. the locked bait box. where do i get one and what type of poisen did you use? my son has killed many many.. ratting at night w/ a 22. these rats are so smart. and of course we feed really good dog food so they are super healthy... the dogs kill several a week but not enough. im hoping when we sell the dogs, that the kennel will be empty and we can really put the poison and shooting on... because they'll be hungry not having the regular amount of dog food to eat. before we set up the coop at her house. we are on the same property and so far they have not found the chickens at my house.. fingers crossed but im keeping my eyes open for signs.

thank you everyon efor responding. I was afraid we were the only ones with the problem..

blessed be and happy mothers day to all MOM's out there
)O(
Pink and Sheila

Quote:

this sounds promising. the locked bait box. where do i get one and what type of poisen did you use? my son has killed many many.. ratting at night w/ a 22. these rats are so smart. and of course we feed really good dog food so they are super healthy... the dogs kill several a week but not enough. im hoping when we sell the dogs, that the kennel will be empty and we can really put the poison and shooting on... because they'll be hungry not having the regular amount of dog food to eat. before we set up the coop at her house. we are on the same property and so far they have not found the chickens at my house.. fingers crossed but im keeping my eyes open for signs.

thank you everyon efor responding. I was afraid we were the only ones with the problem..

blessed be and happy mothers day to all MOM's out there
)O(
Pink and Sheila

This is the website where I ordered the bait stations from. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/protecta-rat-bait-station-p-1292.html I got the six pack of traps. I used Just One Bite poison.

I set out there many evenings with the 22 also......they got smart to that real quick so I rarely got more than a couple a night.

Quote:
wanted to share this with everyone..

After rat trapping developed into a sick and twisted hobby, (set trap, snap, remove body, reset trap. SNAP!) I went for more drastic measures.

I mixed 1 part peanut butter to one part plaster of paris. Add olive oil (not water) until it's a thick paste. Roll into balls and toss under coop and anywhere else nice animals can't reach.

After one night, all the balls were gone, so I made more.

Not so much as a nibble today.

No more rats with a simple rat bait!

here is the original post link ok no posting the link I cant figure out how to do that.. it was orgianly from a member named French Hen 5-17-2009...

making them tomorrow really hoping this will do the trick .. Yes !
)O(
Pink

1) consider getting your information about poisons and physiological affects from a source more reputable than ehow.com. Seriously.
2) what you described will indeed remain in the cadaver and cause secondary poisoning to the consumer of the cadaver.
3) one small sized dead poisoned rat is more than enough to kill a full grown average size cat or small dog. That single rat is also enough to cause critical illness in a medium to large sized dog. The point that only a small amount of poison is adequate to kill a rat is moot when we understand a rat's feeding habits; rats do not stop eating at "a little bit of poison"...they are gluttons. That fact is the key flaw in the "no secondary poisoning" claims of some poisons. Rats will consume far more poison than is required to kill them, and their dead bodies are indeed very toxic for consumption.

Last edited:
The poison that I am referring to as stated does not kill the rat initially it has an effect on the rat that then kills it. It is a reaction that causes the death, the mixing of the product with the blood is what kills and once the product has been ingested it has lost it's potency and effect chemically and therefore no residuals. All my dogs will not eat a rat anyhow dead or alive maybe roll in it though.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom