𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Today I saw a rat run out and drink some water from my hens' water. This is the first time I've ever seen a rat that wasn't dead on my property, so therefore this is the first rat problem I've seen. I have a trap picked out at my local feed store, and if I'm not able to get it, I'll be asking my best friend, @cluckmecoop7, to help me get a trap like her's.
The issue is, I have a bunch of chipmunks running around my yard and in and around my chickens' coop and run. I think that they are cute, and I think that they're helping with my acorn problem. I want the rat dead, but I don't want the chipmunks dead. What can I do to prevent the chipmunks from getting into the trap? Please help. Thanks!

Not much from my experience. When I've had a rat problem the chipmunks seem to be gone ( scared of rats maybe) when i use traps I catch birds and even baby possums. But poison will kill hawks, owls. I usually go for traps under milk crate. I feel the same way I just want to kill rats. If you know where the rats are living like under your coop then you could throw some poison there. I doubt chipmunks live in same space. Lock up all food at night.

Not much from my experience. When I've had a rat problem the chipmunks seem to be gone ( scared of rats maybe) when i use traps I catch birds and even baby possums. But poison will kill hawks, owls. I usually go for traps under milk crate. I feel the same way I just want to kill rats. If you know where the rats are living like under your coop then you could throw some poison there. I doubt chipmunks live in same space. Lock up all food at night.
I usually have the food locked up at night. I'm assuming that the rat lives under the coop. I'm also assuming it's living on the left side, cause that's were it came from and returned. The chipmunks are also hanging out under the same coop. I've seen them go in and out in the middle and the right side of the coop. I don't want to use poison. There's a lot of stray and neighbor's cats running around, plus the chipmunks that I'd be afraid of getting into it. So do you think that the chipmunks would be safe? I'll hopefully be able to get the traps in the next couple of days, but I don't want the chipmunks getting into them. Also, should I get one, or multiple traps?

Chipmunks are active during the day and sleep at night. While you may occasionally see a rat out and about during the day they are normally nocturnal and most active at night. If you put the traps out just as it is getting dark and remove them at day break you will be less likely to capture the chipmunks.
Ok! That sounds good! Thank you!

I usually have the food locked up at night. I'm assuming that the rat lives under the coop. I'm also assuming it's living on the left side, cause that's were it came from and returned. The chipmunks are also hanging out under the same coop. I've seen them go in and out in the middle and the right side of the coop. I don't want to use poison. There's a lot of stray and neighbor's cats running around, plus the chipmunks that I'd be afraid of getting into it. So do you think that the chipmunks would be safe? I'll hopefully be able to get the traps in the next couple of days, but I don't want the chipmunks getting into them. Also, should I get one, or multiple traps?
I'd go with multiple traps. Try not to touch them much. Rub with dirt from pen so they don't smell like human. Rats are pretty smart and will avoid strange things . I usually use peanut butter. While I feel your pain in killing cute chipmunks , trust me a rat problem out of control will get you over that fast. Been there, done that.

Chipmunks are active during the day and sleep at night. While you may occasionally see a rat out and about during the day they are normally nocturnal and most active at night. If you put the traps out just as it is getting dark and remove them at day break you will be less likely to capture the chipmunks.
Yes good point. I've also used the rat zapper, putting it out at night once chicks were locked up. I'm not sure it worked better than traps, but at night I only got rats and mice. The opening was too small for possums.

I'd go with multiple traps. Try not to touch them much. Rub with dirt from pen so they don't smell like human. Rats are pretty smart and will avoid strange things . I usually use peanut butter. While I feel your pain in killing cute chipmunks , trust me a rat problem out of control will get you over that fast. Been there, done that.
Ok. Well seeing this is the first live wild rat I've ever seen, I'm hoping that it's not an out of control problem yet. Oh good! Peanut butter! That's good to know! I forgot to ask what to bait it with! As far as not touching the trap too much, @JubileeFarmer said to only have the traps out at night. What do I do?

Yes good point. I've also used the rat zapper, putting it out at night once chicks were locked up. I'm not sure it worked better than traps, but at night I only got rats and mice. The opening was too small for possums.
What is a rat zapper? I've never heard of that.

Ok. Well seeing this is the first live wild rat I've ever seen, I'm hoping that it's not an out of control problem yet. Oh good! Peanut butter! That's good to know! I forgot to ask what to bait it with! As far as not touching the trap too much, @JubileeFarmer said to only have the traps out at night. What do I do?
I don't think rats are actually that concerned about human smell. I haven't had a rat problem but have successfully caught mice in my pantry (with peanut butter) and it didn't seem to matter how often the traps were handled. If the rat was seen in an area that you frequent then it will already be familiar with your scent and will consider it part of the normal odor of the place.

Back
Top Bottom