Rats, rats EVERYWHERE! ☹️

Pics
Ya looks like he's in Utah and has the day job. Curious if this is an actual feasible idea or just people seeing the videos and suggesting something that isn't an option at all.
I wouId love to see these mink in action IRL.
I think it's feasible, but it would take a LOT of time and effort to train the mink.
Hard to say how effective it is beyond the thrill of watching the hunt and killing of more than few rats.
Have seen other vids of a guy using ferrets for rat eradication.
Another guy has a pack of small terrier type dogs.

I take up the chicken food at night. That stopped my mice problem. (for now that is). All our chicken feed is stored in metal trash cans 'cause mice eat through plastic. Guineas kill snakes who, in turn, eat mice so I don't recommend guineas. We encourage black snakes out here. Looks like the Grandpas Feeder is a good idea, a bit expensive but if that what it takes. Husband puts snake shot in his pistal, takes the feeder away from the chickens then goes for target practice. He's gotten very good over the years. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Yeah I have a bunch of guineas roaming outside, as well as 2 breeding pairs in a coop. They DO take care of snakes, but you’re right the rats are bad in return.

I feed fermented feed and when the rats and squirrels started hanging out and eating with the chickens, I started mixing in cayenne pepper. It really worked to keep the mammals out of the chicken feed. Most of my war was in the feed room, where the rats would chew holes in the feed cans. 2 1/2 years ago, we moved from suburbia to the country with a national forest out the back gate. I am seeing some signs of rats in the winter, but not in the summer. I believe the reason why is the rat snakes. We have a bunch of those. Love them! To keep them out of the eggs, we'll gather 2-4 times a day and if I find a snake in the nest boxes, I'll grab it out and toss it over the back fence (make the coop uncomfortable for them to be in).

This all started last year when my neighbor unloaded some rat-infested materials. They quickly came up to my house. Plentiful food supply, right? Well. I cant take it anymore. There’s stupid rats EVERYWHERE by my chicken pens. And I can’t use poison and no amount of traps would ever get all those dang mice.

Do I rehome my flock and start anew later?? It seems the rat population keeps growing and growing. My feed bill is sky high because I’m feeding more rats than chickens. It’s to the point where my chickens are absolutely starving if not fed twice daily.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

I already have 4 cats.
I had the same problem for a while & started putting out trays or small bowls of coke-cola ,rats & mice cannot belch so to speak & they drink it it explodes their insides as I have pits & didn't want my pets getting into poison, still have chickens & pits but no rats,,also don't shake the cans up so it will maintain itscarbination

I think it's feasible, but it would take a LOT of time and effort to train the mink.
Hard to say how effective it is beyond the thrill of watching the hunt and killing of more than few rats.
Have seen other vids of a guy using ferrets for rat eradication.
Another guy has a pack of small terrier type dogs.
Millie was a poodle-terrier mix that I had from 2005 - 2016 and she was an excellent slayer of mice and rats. Unfortunately, she liked the taste of kittens too.

Attachments

• Millie (10-5-05 thru 9-26-16).jpg
    Millie (10-5-05 thru 9-26-16).jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Millie on her pillows.jpg
    Millie on her pillows.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 2
Ya looks like he's in Utah and has the day job. Curious if this is an actual feasible idea or just people seeing the videos and suggesting something that isn't an option at all.
I wouId love to see these mink in action IRL.
Here's his channel. I've been watching him for quite awhile. His mink and dogs are really good at catching/killing LOTS of rats.
https://www.youtube.com/user/josephdcarter

The poison is really unchanged this morning. My birds need to go back into their coop, so I’ll sit it elsewhere (again, in bucket with holes that only rats can get in).

Back
Top Bottom