Rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pek, Sep 27, 2010.

1. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i can't get any of my chickens eggs because there are rats under the bran! does anyone have any advice?

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    You can put a barrel out, with feed, they crawl in and can't get out. Seal up all your food, and why can't you get the eggs during the day? We only see the rats at night. As long as you have feed, you will have rats. Its a matter of controlling them as best you can. Maybe a cat would help

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Are the rats eating the eggs? We use a combination of things to battle rats, and kind of rotate them, b/c rats will get used to whatever
    you're using if you just use one thing, and learn to avoid it. Best thing is electric rat zapper traps, they are expensive but effective; just switch the bait
    periodically; peanut butter, or cashews work ok.

Snap traps will work for a while.

Mix plaster of paris and powdered sugar, a little grain, and put it in a container they can get into and the chickens can't. The rats will eat it, and you can
    imagine the result. I don't like to use this method, but it does work pretty well for small rats, anyway. I don't like to see any animal suffer, but it does work, and is
    safer than rat poison. Sometimes there's no choice.

The first time we put electronic rat repellers (for barns) in our barn, they worked very well; we didn't see any sign of rats at all for a few months. But they will
    learn to tolerate these, like they do everything.

That's why you have to switch your methods around.

Also,make sure your chicken feed and everything else edible is secured in a rat proof (metal) bin or trash can. pick up the feed when they're done eating, don't leave it out overnight.

4. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    So, I'm thinking they are eating the eggs, not so much, that the rats are out while you go to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by