Rattling breathing in my Roo's chest

MiniChickenMommy

Chirping
Sep 6, 2020
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that my Roo's breathing was sounding wheezy/rattling in his chest. I've been giving him a natural respiratory solution in his water, but so far there hasn't been any improvement that I have seen.

He's about 2 years old. He's behaving as usual and seems okay in himself, other than the rattling breathing. There hasn't been any discharge from his eyes or nostrils.
His breathing seems to be alot worse when he's running around like a maniac, or if the dogs stress him out (just by being there lol). When he is just sitting and chilling I can't hear anything, his breathing sounds clear. But as soon as he is up and about, it starts again.
It doesn't seem to be contagious as my hen isn't experiencing any difficulties

Can anyone advise me on the best possible treatment for him?

I have been thinking to buy some Baytril, but not 100% sure if this is the right antibiotic for this issue. We did have some Baytril before, and occasionally the chickens would get bubbles in their eyes and start sneezing but I gave them the Baytril twice a day which cleared them up within a few days.

Dont know if it is worth noting but when his breathing started sounding wheezy, he did have some bubbles in his eyes and was sneezing, and I started giving him baytril but I ran out of baytril after 3 days so he didnt have a full course.

Can anyone offer any advice on what this might be?
Thanks for reading 😊

It sounds like you may have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) in your flock from the description of sneezes and bubbles in eyes before. The whole flock becomes carriers for life, and you may see symptoms here and there. Baytril will help treat symptoms but there is no cure for this chronic respiratory disease. Most people close their flocks with MG, and treat or cull sick birds. Tylosin or Tylan will also treat MG symptoms, and it can be found in powder for the water, or in injectable form in some feed stores, that can be given orally. Baytril also works well, but has a long egg withdrawal time for any hens treated. Jedds.com sells both Tylosin and Enrofloxacin (Baytril) 10%. Here is a link:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

It sounds like you may have mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) in your flock from the description of sneezes and bubbles in eyes before. The whole flock becomes carriers for life, and you may see symptoms here and there. Baytril will help treat symptoms but there is no cure for this chronic respiratory disease. Most people close their flocks with MG, and treat or cull sick birds. Tylosin or Tylan will also treat MG symptoms, and it can be found in powder for the water, or in injectable form in some feed stores, that can be given orally. Baytril also works well, but has a long egg withdrawal time for any hens treated. Jedds.com sells both Tylosin and Enrofloxacin (Baytril) 10%. Here is a link:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Thank you very much for your reply and confirming my suspicions.
I had suspected MG however as I am not all too familiar with chicken diseases, I couldn't be too sure.
I only have 2 chickens and 1 roo and 1 hen, and I soley keep them as pets and we do not eat any eggs Pearl lays.
I will do some more research on the condition. In the meantime, I will look for some tylosin as I cannot get Baytril in the UK without a prescription and I ain't paying £40 just for the privilege of a consultation plus medical costs 😂.

Can you tell me though, is this condition life threatening in any circumstances? Should I expect this to get worse as he grows older?

I think that some chickens may have symptoms, and then get along okay after an outbreak. Some may get symptoms again. It affects their productivity and overall health. You would need to get one tested or have a necropsy done to confirm MG. Tiamulin (Denagard) is another medication that some use to treat MG, and that might be easier to get in the UK. It has a bitter taste, and I believe that some flavor the water to make it more appealing. Corn syrup, fruit juice and maple syrup are some flavors used. Here is some dosage info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/denagard-12-5-dosage-help.1419169/

I think that some chickens may have symptoms, and then get along okay after an outbreak. Some may get symptoms again. It affects their productivity and overall health. You would need to get one tested or have a necropsy done to confirm MG. Tiamulin (Denagard) is another medication that some use to treat MG, and that might be easier to get in the UK. It has a bitter taste, and I believe that some flavor the water to make it more appealing. Corn syrup, fruit juice and maple syrup are some flavors used. Here is some dosage info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/denagard-12-5-dosage-help.1419169/
My rooster coughing since he eating wall yesterday and today his breathing have Gargling sound with sneeze also he Cough Instead of crowing is it MG? I started baytril 10%

Back
Top Bottom