Rattling Roo

Wattle Queen

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2015
Tn
My Silver Phoenix Too is making a rattling noise & sounds like he's snoring. He has a little bit of dried up mucus in one nostril
I tried to remove it but he wasn't liking it to well. He also has a hi pitched crow that isn't normal. I noticed this last night when I was locking the coop door. He's the only one in my flock of 4 doing this. Their coop is ventilated with no drafts. It is 4x8 with 3 brooder boxes. It has been cold about 6 nights here & they have had heat lamps when it dropped below freezing. I have Duramycin -10 tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder & Aureomycin 4g medicated crumble Chloe tetracycline type c medicated feed. Would either of these work? If not what should I get?

Hi there :frow

It sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. I would treat with the duramycin but treat all your birds. Things like this can spread and even though your others are not showing symptoms they could still be infected. It's best to treat them all.
Please do drop by the emergencies injuries disease and cure section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Wishing you the very best of luck and I hope he is well again soon :fl

Yorkshire Coop has given you excellent advice, so I will just say - Welcome to the BYC flock, hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Hope your roo will be on the mend soon.

Thank y'all so much! I checked on him last night & he felt to me like he was running a fever so I cut a baby aspirin up & gave him a piece. I read he could only have 5mg per pound & he might weigh 2 lbs. Also we have rain & cool weather today so I'm gonna keep them in the coop today & give all of them the antibiotics in their water & feed. If anyone has anymore advice please let me know. I love my birds & don't want to lose them.

I'm not sure on giving him the aspirin :idunno

Get started on the antibiotic as soon as possible for them all. Fever would certainly indicate infection. I'm sure if you pop by the emergencies section they can advise you in the aspirin.

If your leaving them in the coop make sure it's well ventilated for good fresh air so it does not get too stuffy for them.

Good luck my fingers are firmly crossed that he will be ok :fl

I don't want the rain & wind to make him worse. I started both antibiotics right after I posted earlier. I been reading other posts about respiratory problems in chickens & I came across tylan 50. I'm not comfortable injecting & have no help. Also vet RX. Don't know much about any of it though. I've had all 4 of them since August & never had any respiratory issues. The coop is 4x8 with 3 brooder boxes. Everything is sealed up except the ridge cap in the metal roof. They have dried leaves,sawdust & sand for their bedding. I also have DE sprinkled in all of it too. Also can anyone tell me how much of the duramycin I should add per gallon? I mixed about half a tsp to a gallon earlier. Just checking.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

How is your roo doing now?

Back
Top Bottom