ratty looking

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
My 6 chicks were a month old yesterday. A lot of feathers have come in, some chicks better than others", but they all look ratty. I mean a real mess. Almost like dogs with the mange where the fuzz is the feathers want to be. Do they all look that bad? They don't seem to have any problems. They eat like crazy and the cold weather just doesn't bother them at all. Even when I colder here than other days they are the first at the pop door to come out.

So my question is the ratty look normal for month old chicks? I don't remember my others looking this messy.

Oh yes! I call that the awkward teenage look.......It will get better, don't worry! Their fuzz is falling off, and the feathers are growing in....They have little mini molts when they're little....Soon your little ugly ducklings will become swans!
smile.png

Perfectly normal!

Sharon

Ya. I remember when my were like that!
lau.gif
They were pretty ugly, and they acted like teenagers. They didn't really like being around me or me picking them or anything. Don't worry they grow out of it, they will one day be very pretty and nice.
Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

I always call that the "ugly teen" stage! Remember when we were all akward with pimples ect...thats similar to the birds at this stage. They will start to fill in better at 3-4 months.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom