Raw eggs....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 16, 2007.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Salmonella is more likely to be found in commercial eggs. I trust my eggs are clean. I know I am not the only one. Martha Stewart did a show once with a recipe using raw egg. She, too, said she would trust her eggs and chickens to be clean and never worried about salmonella. I think she might have been making egg nog.

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Ok now I'm going to go cook some eggs. I'm starving all of a sudden.

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Songster

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Cook eggs??? Not make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough?? With Pecans?

4. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I heard once that you shouldn't, but it wasn't because of salmonella, it was something else...I'll try to find it.
    Cooked eggs are OK.

5. chickbea

chickbea Songster

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    OK - my brain kicked in finally. The bad substance in raw eggs is avidin, which interferes with the absorption of some of the B vitamins. This can cause skin and coat troubles. It isn't poisonous, just bad.
    Having said that, I have certainly been guilty of feeding the eggs to my dogs (that's what I do with the dirty eggs [​IMG])

6. joanm

joanm Songster

May 13, 2007
    I don't feed my dog raw eggs. Mollie LOVES boiled eggs though. I can tap an egg on the counter and she can hear that ten miles away and comes running. [​IMG]

7. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I make breakfast smoothies with raw eggs, no problem!
    I take a B-complex that contains biotin to override any potential avidin-biotin binding.
    If anybody is interested, here is Dr. Mercola's latest stance on raw eggs:
    Raw Eggs
    Stephanie

8. OHChick

OHChick Songster

May 8, 2007
    i just try to avoid eggs for my dogs (cooked or raw) b/c of the *TERRIBLE* *STINKY* *HORRIFIC* dog emittances that my boys get from them. [​IMG]

makes me want to break out the gas masks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:My dad had the same opinion. "There's nothing worse than an egg-sucking dog." He actually did haul off and shoot one of ours, since we were getting NO eggs thanks to the hound.

10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I feed our cats eggs. It all started because their mom was a stray that gave birth to them in the woodpile. She vanished and the kittens stayed. I had one hen that wasnt laying an egg with a membrane in it so I would toss her broken eggs over the fence. The kittens would climb over and eat them! So now they get any extra eggs I have while feeding. Mostly duck eggs, but they enjoy chicken eggs sometimes. I do feed them cat food too, I just mix the eggs in it. They've had raw eggs for months now and no one has died yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: