Raw eggs....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    ....are they ok for dogs? My dog LOVES eggs. In fact he eats the entire egg...including the shell. He cracks the egg and licks out the insides then eats the shell.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    raw eggs can have salmonella (sp). I'm not sure if dogs are immune to it or not. Someone else can answer you probably better. I just know that I have read that somewhere.

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I feed raw eggs to my dogs. I feed a homemade diet to the three dogs and have for about 6 years. Many people who feed prepared foods (kibble) ad eggs to their dogs food as part of adding fresh food to the diet.

Raw eggs can cause loose stools if the dog eats more eggs than they are used too. They are very rich.

Remember that dogs lick their own butts, and if given the opportunity will lick other dogs butts, the cat's butt, eat "snacks" from the litter box, play with filthy tennis balls that are for sure covered in germs, and eat all sorts of unknowns that they come across. They have an even more acidic environment in their stomachs than people do, as well as a shorter digestive tract. They can handle bacteria in their food better than we can.

So, in summary, as someone who has put considerable research into the best foods to feed my dogs (it is a hobby of mine) I consider raw eggs to be a healthy and safe addiction to the dogs diet. Just watch the quantity at first

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I really hope both chicken and duck eggs are ok for dogs.. I have to watch my dog he goes in the hen house and steals eggs then he goes up to my mean ole broody duck and steals her eggs (not fertile) when she has her head turned .. hes been doing this for a really long time and so far hes ok.... I dont know if they should eat them but it apparently doesnt hurt them to much if any..

My dad reminds me that "back in his day a dog that stole eggs would be shot".. lol.. I just tell him its a new day... [​IMG]

Renae...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  5. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I don't feed my dogs any human food, including eggs.
    I don't want my dogs learning it's ok to beg or steal food off the counters, or eggs from the egg boxes if they should go in there. My Gf gave them chunks of ice while filling her glass from the freezer, and now no one can get ice from the freezer with out them coming running and going nuts for it when they hear you getting ice. You really have to watch what behavior you encourage with dogs. What seems cute/ fun can become annoying when they learn it so well that they repeat it all the time.

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Back in the "old days" LOL.......(to me meaning 30 years ago) Alot of people did not know the dangers of raw eggs and I for one licked the cakebowl as a child and lived. I'm not sure if the danger has gotten worse or people have just become more educated and (or) more paranoid.

I made a lemon meringue pie this weekend and technically the egg whites I used in the meringue are RAW. It just browns in the oven for a minute. Also other people I know use raw eggs in things all the time. Who knows? Its really up to you.

Maybe someone else can share some info.

7. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    I have started to give my dog an egg in the morning and she does seem to like it. When I was a kid the vet told my parents to feed our old dog an egg everyday (for reasons I don't know).

As far at the begging issue goes my dog does not beg. The only time she gets 'human' food is if she is not begging in the first place and never out my hand always put into her bowl.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    He's been getting an egg a day. I know people that egg raw eggs so I guess it's fine.

Who's to say that an egg is "people food"? Other animals eat eggs too. My dog doesn't beg. He's an outside dog so he can't steal off the kitchen counters and even though he's not trained he is very well behaved. I don't let my dog anywhere near my chickens or the chicken yard so he can't steal the eggs out of there.

I'm going to give him an egg and take his picture. I'll post it in a couple of minutes.

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Yum yum, thanks Mom!
    [​IMG]

I don't want it right this second:
    [​IMG]

Who am I kidding? Yes I do want it now. That shell was a hard one:
    [​IMG]

Yummmmmmmm......shell:
    [​IMG]

10. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    It would take alot for me to give up Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. No way, no how. Germs and all, very tasty. Since I'm not dead yet go ahead and give your dog that egg [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by