Raw eggs....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Nevermind!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Songster

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Only something like one egg in one million has salmonella. Who hasn't enjoyed cookie dough or cake batter made with raw eggs? I'm with OHchick... I'd be more worried about stinkiness than salmonella, LOL.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  3. hencackle

hencackle Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    OHChick--does your dog need some plain yogurt or probiotics for the flatulence? Just light a few candles, LOL! [​IMG]

4. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Songster

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Our vet told us to put two or three raw eggs over our dog food to get our dog lady to eat it. After we lost our other dog she stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. Doing this made her put some pounds back on, and it is good for thier coats to. Raw eggs probably hold about the same risk as sushi. You get raw eggs in alot of things. Look on the backs of your Ice cream labels. Egg nog, mereguines and a lot of other things. No I wont crack open a egg and gulp it down, but Ilove my ice cream. As for the dog, you are doing a good thing. It gives him extra vitamins, and it keeps the coat healthy shinny, and not shedding year around.

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Songster

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I remember my Grandpa having a fit when I was young about a egg sucking dog that his nieghbor had. I dont know if he ever shot it. But I remeber his fit, and sorry but I cant repeat what was said on this forum.

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Correct me if I'm wrong(which I rarely am) but didn't ROCKY drink RAW eggs?? He was champion of the world so it must be GOOD for you. EYE of the Tiger and alll that good stuff. [​IMG]

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Well, I for one give MINE raw eggs. I have a Doberman, and 3 poms.....who LOVE thier raw eggs. They watch me go into the kitchen, and when I get thier bowls from the cabinet...they know, its EGG TIME!! They dont get the shell....but they DO get the...um....smellies later! LOL They get one egg each, a week. So far, so good!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    "The risk of salmonella infection is usually only present in traditionally raised commercial hens. If one purchases ones eggs from healthy chickens, the risk of infection is dramatically reduced. It's important to note that only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs. If you purchase high quality, cage-free, organically fed, chicken eggs, the risks are dramatically reduced.

A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) indicates that only 2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella.

So this really means that only 0.003 % of eggs are infected. Viewed another way, only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella, which shows how uncommon this problem actually is."
    From here
    I don't think there's much of a risk from healthy backyard hens.

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:I guess this means that if I can get one chicken to lay a samon colored egg, I will not get another for the next 29,999 eggs. and salmon is one of my favorite colors too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: