1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

raw green beans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AhBee01, Aug 15, 2011.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Can they eat raw green beans the part that you snap off. I see they can't have dry beans raw, but can't find anything about green beans!
    TIA
    Brenda

2. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    they will just let them dried out before u feed it 2 them

3. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    My girls will eat the seeds out of green beans, but don't really care for any other part of it.... and they will only eat the seeds if I pick them out for them.... so they rarely get greenbeans [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine only like to eat the beans when they are still hanging off the plants... they are fine.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Green beans have trace amounts of cyanide in them. Small amounts will not kill them but it is poisen and you should avoid giving them raw green beans if possible.

6. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    OH NO - mine ate greenbeans - raw - two days ago. Can I assume that if they were goind to be ill I would know by now? [​IMG] stupid, stupid stupid. I didn't even think about checking to see if they could have them.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't worry about it. Shoot I've eaten raw green beans, a turkey ate half of a 3 foot round ruhbarb plant (oxalic acid), leaves and all never getting sick. Got to 50lbs and made a fine meal. Chickens eat styrofoam, nails, dried rice, onions, tomato leaves, apple seeds (cyanide), and about every "no good" food on the "do not feed" list in some amount as they free range. Avocado hasn't even made them sick. Granted, if they find they do not like something, like onions, tomato leaves or ruhbarb leaves, they tend to leave it alone. Small quantities of even things containing low toxin levels won't hurt, just don't make it their entire diet.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree, shoot my bird head to the Soybean field every morning and I don't see them till dark.
    When canning season comes in full blown and we start canning Green Beans the Goat and Chickens get all the ends (about a 2 and a half gallon bucket full some times more twice a week) been doing this for 10 years with no ill affects.

Chris

9. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I didn't know greenbeans are poisonous and have given them to our girls several times. They haven't been sick a day in their seventeen weeks of life. I expect it is ok in moderation.

10. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I got 2 boxes of sad looking green beans from the grocery store, I cut them into bite sized pieces, the girls gobbled them all up w/ no ill effects at all what so ever, so give em the beans & enjoy the show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by