Raw Milk

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
There is an interesting story in today's Sunday Globe Magazine about a dairy a few towns over from me that sells raw milk:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/03/23/got_raw_milk/

Two things stood out for me in the article: it goes for for $8.50 a gallon, and the state of Massachusetts has an interesting take on how this is being regulated. I'm a "live and let live" person myself, so if someone wants to drink raw milk they should be able to, IMO.

I have to admit I am curious as to how it tastes, and if it spoils faster than pasteurized milk.

Does anyone have an experience with this? Very curious.

smile.png

~ Phyllis

Last edited:
I think it was a great article, it makes me want to go out and buy some "fresh" milk... raw milk just sounds silly! When I was growing up whenever I went to a friends house the beverage was fresh goats milk...I liked it and probably haven't had it in 38 years!!!

Raw milk does goes "off" very quickly, usually within a couple of days depending on the age of the product when purchased. I much prefer it to regular milk, but of course it costs a lot more. It tastes similar to pasteurised but the taste is a little richer and it is more digestable. Some expects have commented that most lactose intolerant folk would be fine with raw milk.

If I could afford it and didn't have to drive miles to get it I would use it everyday.

Barb

Hi,
It may be illegal in CT - I haven't found any place that sells "raw" around here. I did find a farm that says it "lightly" pasteurizes - which according to them is better than store bought milk. Awesome cream!
I've been looking into this myself and have entertained the idea of a goat or 2...
T

So I see this post..and I'm sitting here with what's got to be my 8th glass of milk today...and started reading. What the heck...right? Makes for good reading... The article link I should say...that's what I was reading...and down I guzzled..more and more milk...ahh...sooo sweet and cold... Yum! Milk...

And I start thinking... Can't WAIT till my goat gives birth so I can drink that milk! Gonna be sooo sweet and fresh... Can't WAIT!!

Oh ..todays' milk is from the 3 gallons I got gifted to me yesterday from a friend that'd milked it from her cow the day before and that morning! Raw, of course. Oh so YUMMY!!

I think I like the idea of making my own choice on whether or not to drink raw milk... I think I'm old enough and educated enough to decide. We did however, decide also not to let our 6 yr old that's sick right now drink it. Until she's done with her antibiotics and her operation has been done, why take the slight risk that there is?

Just my two cents...

Stacy

I love raw milk. As noted in the article the poor conditions of feeding and keeping the animals is what lead to give raw milk a bad name. We have dairy cows and drink our own milk. My doctors were fine with it while I was pregnant and said once the girls turned two it was fine to give to them. As long as the cows are healthy the average person should be fine.

What amazes me is the price. They do less to it and it costs so much more? Crazy!

I drink raw milk regularly (as well as use raw butter, raw yogurt, raw cottage cheese, and raw cream). It's great stuff. It took me a while to get used to the "fresher" flavor, but now it tastes much better to me than the storebought milk. If you google "Weston Price Foundation" there are a LOT of reasons to drink raw milk for your health.

Pennsylvania gives "raw milk" permits to farms, so I buy mine off those farms.

By the way, I disagree that raw milk goes "off" in a few days. One thing you can't do with raw milk products is dip your spoon back in them after eating off of it, for example. And it should be kept cold, not left out of the fridge for periods of time. You don't want to introduce new bacteria or it throws off the balance.

Mine typically goes 8-10 days and then it only slightly begins to change (sour) but because it's not pastuerized it has good bacteria in it that slows down the souring process. If storebought milk sours, it's BAD fast. But raw milk can sour over several weeks very slowly and can be used in baking. I've noticed that different farms milk keeps for different lengths of time... I wonder if it's chilled faster at some farms than at others. Getting milk cold immediately is the big issue with keeping it fresh (as well as cleanliness during milking of course).

I would say if anything, it just tastes a little richer. No different.

COOKING is a whole different story. It will make gravies and batters runny, I think due to the enzymes that are killed in the pasturization process.

I have found my raw goats milk sours pretty quickly. Have to use it within a week, I'd say. Like someone else said, though, it more like turns into buttermilk than curdles and spoils. Still...I toss it!

To clarify - the 'light' pasturization is the old, slow method. It is brought to 130 degrees (or 120, I can't quite remember) for 30 mins. Ultra pasturized and similar processes (most common in store milk) bring the milk to more like 180 for 15 to 30 seconds...it's thought that high heat kills more of the good stuff, too...but it's quicker - and quicker is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom