1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raw onion scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicamama, Jun 25, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Hit or big miss?

2. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that they probably won't eat them....

Susan

3. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Make those eggs taste like onions I bet.

Dennis

4. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I heard or read no onions, makes eggs taste like onions. Im sure some wise chicken person will speak up and let us know.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    We had a "wise chicken person" report that onions are sold in Switzerland specifically for chicken feeding!?!

Neither Cornell University Department of Animal Science nor the Merck Veterinary Manual list onions as toxic plants for poultry. But, they are apparently a problem for cattle, horses, sheep, and a lot of us know about the issue of dogs eating onions.

Researchers at Clemson University report on garlic as 3% of poultry feed. Strangly enuf, they were trying to mitigate the odor of large, commercial outfits but on the subject of the taste of the eggs: "The researchers have already conducted taste tests and found that people preferred the eggs produced by the garlic-eating hens." [​IMG]

My hens have often had onions in kitchen scraps and have eaten them . . .

Steve

6. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    In my experience- you can taste the onions in the eggs. But not in a good omelety sort of way...

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My girls aren't laying yet, but I have been feeding them onion sprouts and garlic, both are vermifuges.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It seems to me there would be almost no nutritional value to a chicken. Better to put onion scraps in your compost where they can contribute organic matter.

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Actually, onions and garlic both help prevent worms in chickens - and pinworms in kids, if you've ever had that problem.

Might be a shortcut to a nice omelet if you thrown in some mushrooms too!

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    oh, the things I am learning here. My girls won't eat store onions but garden onions.......you bet.
    Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by