Raw onion scraps?

I heard or read no onions, makes eggs taste like onions. Im sure some wise chicken person will speak up and let us know.

We had a "wise chicken person" report that onions are sold in Switzerland specifically for chicken feeding!?!

Neither Cornell University Department of Animal Science nor the Merck Veterinary Manual list onions as toxic plants for poultry. But, they are apparently a problem for cattle, horses, sheep, and a lot of us know about the issue of dogs eating onions.

Researchers at Clemson University report on garlic as 3% of poultry feed. Strangly enuf, they were trying to mitigate the odor of large, commercial outfits but on the subject of the taste of the eggs: "The researchers have already conducted taste tests and found that people preferred the eggs produced by the garlic-eating hens."
hu.gif

My hens have often had onions in kitchen scraps and have eaten them . . .

Steve

It seems to me there would be almost no nutritional value to a chicken. Better to put onion scraps in your compost where they can contribute organic matter.

Actually, onions and garlic both help prevent worms in chickens - and pinworms in kids, if you've ever had that problem.

Might be a shortcut to a nice omelet if you thrown in some mushrooms too!

Back
Top Bottom