Raw popcorn

pachicken

Chirping
Feb 26, 2017
We have 11 new chickens and we haven't yet started them on scratch yet, just a thought, can I grind up for a treat some raw Orville original popcorn that I was going to toss out?

I had a # of popcorn that was expired in 2014. (Should clean those cupboards more often!) I started sprouting it and mixing it in with the bird's wheat sprouts! I saved the last couple ounces to plant outside this spring to give them some more corn this fall.

Is it the same stuff you find in stratch, my hubby said it is processed, it is the stuff you put in a popper

Raw popcorn is not processed. (you can buy popcorn that is simply popping corn, or you can buy some that has seasoning and oil pre-mixed into it.) It is not the same type of corn found in scratch. There are many different types of corn. The corn found in scratch, even if it was whole would not likely pop b/c of the difference in ratio of starch/moisture. Yes, it's the stuff you would put in a popper.

As mentioned - it is just something I had that seemed to be too stale for my popper. I was just trying not to be wasteful and it not harm my chicks - whereas I have read not to give sunflowers with the shells, but seems some do - go figure... thank you for responding so quickly!

I wonder why someone says not to give sunflower seeds with shell to chickens? Was there a reason given, or just some random wisdom that someone posted?

My chickens LOVE their BOSS, no need to shell them, the first ones eaten are the whole ones, the ones that are cracked open are the last to be picked up.

I wonder why someone says not to give sunflower seeds with shell to chickens? Was there a reason given, or just some random wisdom that someone posted?

My chickens LOVE their BOSS, no need to shell them, the first ones eaten are the whole ones, the ones that are cracked open are the last to be picked up.
I think the poster that made that comment was talking about feeding sunflower seeds to young chicks. Or perhaps there was a concern about the high fat content of them.

Back
Top Bottom