Rcom mini incubator eggs set 6/20/11(UPDATE) (IT HATCHED)*pics added**

Yeah, but you need someone who is handy! I am to a point......but my dh thinks he can't do anything!!
hide.gif
Bu-ut, I do usually convince him it can be done and by him......with my help of course
yippiechickie.gif
Since I just talked him into having shed custom built for chickens and into chicks that are now 2 week + old
woot.gif
, I think I'd better wait a while before springing incubators and such on him.....will just sorta eeeaaaase into it
wink.png
But in the meantime I'll do all the research and "larnin'" needed
caf.gif

Quote:
1. My Rcom mini incubator holds 3 eggs, my cooler bator holds 20 eggs.
2. An incubator and hatcher are the same thing. If you incubate LOTS of eggs, you will want to incubate in one incubator, and hatch in another. The sooner the eggs are out of the incubator and into the hatcher, the sooner you can put more eggs into the incubator.
3. "Lock down" is when the eggs have incubated for 18 days, you bump up the humidity, and STOP turning the eggs and DON'T OPEN the incubator for the last three days of incubation. It's hard not too, but really try not to. When you open the incubator the humidity goes down, and the risk of shrink-wrapping occurs. (Shrink-wrapping is when the humidity gets too low, and the rubbery membrane of the egg shrinks to the chicken, In result the chick can't move around the egg, and usually will die unless a person intervenes, and tries to help the chick out of the egg.)
4. I usually do dry hatching, (DRY HATCHING=The humidity is between 20% and 30% humidity the first 18 days, and on day 18 I raise the humidity (BY ADDING MORE WATER TO THE INCUBATOR.) I usually raise the humidity to 60%. I turn the eggs 2 times a day in my homemade incubator, and on day 18 I stop turning the eggs.

The temp should be between 99 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit, 100.5 is okay, and 98.4 is fine as well. Just TRY to keep it steady and somewhere between 99 and 100.

Back
Top Bottom