Re-beak a De-beaked chicken

Zaharon

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2017
Dear Experts,

I bought a couple of de-beaked chicken. Being new to the world of raising chicken I later noticed the importance of the beak. Is there a solution.... such as a plastic beak, or something that can be home-made that can return the beak to the bird?

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. To my knowledge, there isn't anything you can do, the good thing is that only part of the beak is removed, it's still not good for the chickens, but they can live a fairly normal life. From what i have seen, they have a hard time picking up food unless it is in a deep dish, like not a thin layer of feed in the bottom of the dish.

Edit: If I extracted a beak from a dead chicken's head, sculptured it to fit my de-beaked chicken, is there any sort of glue that can attach both together?

Edit: If I extracted a beak from a dead chicken's head, sculptured it to fit my de-beaked chicken, is there any sort of glue that can attach both together?
That sounds as barbaric as debeaking bird in the first place.
Please be careful.
Maybe google "prosthetic chicken beak".

Debeaked birds can do fine with deep feed dish.

Hi @Zaharon :welcome

Can you post some photos of your birds?
Generally if they were de-beaked by a commercial hatchery, etc. they should be fine. Chickens can adapt very well. If you are noticing they have difficulty eating then re-evaluating the way they are fed may be in order (deeper dishes to eat/drink from, etc).

Back
Top Bottom