re-do bumblefoot surgery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherindeskies, Nov 8, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Did my first ever pet surgery, thought it went OK, but today noticed the foot bandage was gone and swelling didn't seem to be reduced much. Do I need to do the surgery again, or just soak foot in salt water, re apply neosporin and re wrap?

2. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Not sure on this one; maybe someone else can help you?

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if you could post some pics that would help- and explain how you did the surgery- i have done it a couple times, a little differently- i put a poultice of bedadine and sugar on it and wrapped it with vet wrap, changed it every nite, after 4 days i gave them the epsom salt soak and sprayed the area with bactine then massaged the area to loosen it up, then scrape the scab, massage it a little more and the bumble should pop right out, pack it with neosprin, apply some new skin and wrap it- i'll have to go find the thread that i posted on my roo...

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  5. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    I've had a hen that we did the surgery on and had to repeat as not all of the infection was removed the first time. She is perfectly fine, no issues now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by