Re-grouting a shower

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I can't delay any more. I want to, but I can't. It has to be re-done. So Ive checked online, and read what I can, and I think I can do it. Chip out the old grout, spray with bleach water and let dry, smush new grout inbetween tiles, sponge the grout off the tile, and voila!! new grouting.

Anyone have any tips on how to really do this? Im stressing a bit about this. I guess a trip to Lowes is in order this weekend, but I want to be sure I buy exactly what I need.

Halo...........

If you go to a home improvement center, Lowes or Home Depot, you can buy grout in a tube like caulking that will make your regrouting job muck easier. You don't have to mix it up, just squeeze it out, smooth it out, let it set and wash it down!

For a shower I'd get epoxy grout. Tougher to clean up but easier to keep clean. Plus with alot of scrubbing you'll need to reseal the regular grout often.

pop.gif

I need to do this, too, in both the bathrooms. I just saw a dremel attachment for $20 at Sears for removing old grout - is that a good idea?

What? WHAT??? Grout in a tube? Like caulking????

Say it aint so.

How easy could THAT be? I might head to Lowes in the morning and check it out, that sounds SO much easier. Only problem with going to Lowes is it will take me 2 hours to get to that section..I get soooo distracted in there. Its like going to an adventure park for me!

Thanks for the ideas.....I think I can....I think I can....I think I can....

Okay.................1st Don't use the grout caulking that is in a tube for replacing your grout. It's intended use is for tile that is bordering walls or tile base boards. It is not intended for grout in the wet areas. Think expansion and contraction. Replace old grout with the same kind that is existing. Use a grout removal tool, sold at Home Depot or Lowe's. They have sanded grout and non sanded grout. Non sanded grout is only used on tiles that are set close together such as with a 4"x 4" tile that has a 1/16" or 1/8" grout line. If your grout line is bigger than that you need to use sanded grout. Also, when replacing grout be sure that you remove as much of the old grout as possible. Let all grout cure for 72 hours before letting any water or moisture on it, and it must cure for 72 hours before sealing it. Hope this helps.

Happy grouting!

Thanks for the additional info. I wonder if I should just get someone in to re-do it. Or can I do it myself? What to do what to do....

Quote:
LOL! The name of our company is RE-DO-IT!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

You can do it yourself it is really not that hard just time consuming. The hardest part of tile is the grout. Wipe and wait, wipe and wait, wipe and wait.

Quote:
This is EXACTLY how it should be done for a professional job. I've set thousands of square feet of tile and stone and this is the right way to do it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom