Re-growing grass in my run

sommrluv

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Over the winter, the chickens trashed their run like a...well, better than a rockstar! It's a big run, and I'm curious what the quickest, hardiest thing I can put in there...types of grass, clover, other groundcover..etc..

I have a small additional run that they could use while it's growing, but it would be great if it wasn't for to long...it's smaller and in full sun.

I live in zone 6B and the run get's a significant amount of sun, and some shade in the afternoon.

Do you want stuff that they will, or will not eat? I don't know if there is any grass that will survive their scratching. The two things that grow in my Girl's run, aside from a few Honeysuckle shrubs, is Lemonbalm, that they don't touch, and Sunflowers that have sprouted from seed that they missed from their scratch grain mix. I planted a small Comfrey patch within the run that they LOVE to eat. I have to fence it off periodically to let the plants recuperate from their grazing, but so far it always bounces back.

We have monkey grass that slipped in under the fence from our neighbor's yard and is slowly taking over our back yard where it's shady and nothing much else is growing. I've been mowing it to keep it about 3 inches tall so that it still sorta looks like a lawn. The chickens must not like the taste of it because they're not eating it.

I have a divided chicken pasture adjacent to my chicken run. I have the option to allow them to go into the chicken pasture to graze, catch bugs, etc. or to just leave them in their original run. When one section of the chicken pasture is in need of rejuvenating I block that section off and allow them to go into the other section or I leave them penned up in the original run which has a heavy straw covering on the ground. I throw scratch onto the straw to encourage them to scratch. They turn that straw and their poop into compost for me. And while they are making compost for me both sections of chicken pasture has a chance to revive. As far as what kinds of things to plant in there. Choose the hardiest toughest grass that does well in your area. Here I use Bermuda grass.

I have a box of grass, covered with rabbit wire. They can chew off the top but not the roots. It works, but I would like to find something that grows real quick to put in it. The grass grows too slow. The heavier birds get the advantage cause the wire depresses when they step on it and they can reach more grass. I have a picutre, but it is hard to see anyway. We just nailed the wood to the fence, dug up some grass from the yard and put it in, water daily if no rain.

A lot of times I see people on craigslist selling or giving away rolled sod grass that they cut from their own lawns for landscaping or whatever. Or try a landscape company that has a sod cutter. Sometimes that stuff just goes to waste.

I used orchard companion grass mix, and plugs from my own lawn that I removed when making garden beds. That way I can step on the established grass while the new stuff comes in. The orchard grass is tough once established and pretty fast. Will cover with buckwheat and then seed again.

They just look so sad all in the dirt. LOL.

I was thinking about rye or oat grass, or even wheat grass. I've thought about doing one of those boxes to, but it's not on the priority list lately.

Y'all have given me some good ideas!

You have to remove the chickens to get it to grow. I threw rye seeds out over the winter thinking it would grow. NOT! The chickens ate every last seed. Don't ask me how they found them all (my run is huge 50X100 ft) but they did.

Back
Top Bottom