Re-homing 3 month old ducks!?!?! help please

beliabeans

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
Quacksvill
Hello everyone, I adopted my two ducks at the beginning of November 2011. Recently, my living conditions have changed and I need to know what is the best way to go about re-homing ducks? What can I do to prepare them? One is an Indian Runner and the other is a Khaki Campbell.

Last edited:
They will never be "ready" to be released. They are domestic ducks and do not posses the skills needed to survive on their own. Releasing these ducks is basically a death sentence. Neither runners or KC can fly so they would quickly be a meal if they do not starve to death first. Since you took on the responsibility of acquiring ducks, take on the responsibility of rehome them. You owe it to them to find them a home. Have you looked? Advertise on craigslist, someone may make them a meal but that would be better than the alternative.

If you truly "adopted" them than why not return them to whoever you got them from?

Last edited:
Don't do it! They aren't a wild breed! They won't be able to fend for themselves or live. Please just find a home for them. Don't release them onto a pond. Put them on craigslist. Put a ad up here on BYC.

Hello everyone, I adopted my two ducks at the beginning of November 2011. Recently, my living conditions have changed and I need to know what is the best way to go about releasing ducks into "wild". I have in mind a few of my local city parks, but I don't think they are physically ready. How old should they be before letting them go? And what can I do to prepare them? One is an Indian Runner and the other is a Khaki Campbell.

there is no letting them go .
they are not wild ducks, they are domesticated.
you can't release ducks into the wild, they WILL NOT survive.
you need to find them a good home. nota pond

Last edited:
I appreciate the input (could use a less attitude). However, I am fully aware of the responsibility of "adopting" these animals. I'm merely trying to gather as much information as possible. I know that many may judge, but the fact is life happens, and not too many apartments are duck friendly. So, on that note. Yes I have looked for farms. Yes, I have considered craigslist. And yes, I know that domestic animals cannot be simply "released".

DO NOT RELEASE THEM INTO THE WILD!!! for one you can get a huge fine for dumping domestic animals (abandonment) and for two your duck's will not be able to fly away from predators, and people who like to harass animals they also need a shelter. (for protection from the weather and predators and jack ***** who like to chase the animals and Harris them). They will not be able to survive off the land they need supplementary feed year round dont matter what breed they are. Also animals who are dumped will live a lot shorter more stress full life's cause they will always be on the run looking for anything to eat and running from predators( people, dogs, cats ,raccoon,opossum, bird of prey etc). Dumping animals can also cause harm to the wild species who call the park home cause they will then have to compete for every thing and the domestic ducks could mate with the wild ducks and cause all sorts of problems in the wild strand of ducks

so bottom line DONT DUMP YOUR ANIMALS not trying to be mean but I hate it when I see animals that have been dumped and are suffering and starving. so just go on-line and find some one that will take them in and give them a good home if I where near you I would take them in their are people who will take them in.

I really don't want to be without them, my family has grown so attached. I will try to see if my landlord can make an exception. If not, then craigslist. I just don't want to sell them to someone who will eat them, but I realize that only I can guarantee their safety...

Hello everyone, I adopted my two ducks at the beginning of November 2011. Recently, my living conditions have changed and I need to know what is the best way to go about releasing ducks into "wild" . I have in mind a few of my local city parks, but I don't think they are physically ready. How old should they be before letting them go? And what can I do to prepare them? One is an Indian Runner and the other is a Khaki Campbell.

This is why you are getting that response...Why people on here are so quick to respond with a little emphasis on this subject is because of the amount of people who find themselves needing to "rehome" or "release" ducks. So many every year get served this death sentence and so many people on here rescue these poor ducks whenever they can.
Bottom line is...There is nothing you can do to "prepare" them any more than you could "prepare" a cat or a dog to suddenly become "wild". The only way to get rid of them is to rehome them. They are dependent on humans for their care and well-being.

I would CL and also on here let people know where you are and I'm sure it won't be hard to find someone relatively quickly.
Of course, life happens and I hope you are able to quickly find them a safe home. Good luck

I really don't want to be without them, my family has grown so attached. I will try to see if my landlord can make an exception. If not, then craigslist. I just don't want to sell them to someone who will eat them, but I realize that only I can guarantee their safety...
I understand that you are in a hard spot but think of what is best for them. If it comes down to it, advertise them and don't ask what the new people are going to do with them.

Here is a thought, what state are you in? Someone on here might be close and willing to take them. We have KC here and a couple of runners. They would be welcome to join the flocks. We are in FL. Why not post an add here on BYC in the buy sell area for a local pick up.

Back
Top Bottom