Re homing Pekins and other breeds, what's the best way to do it?

Lengerich Farms

Chirping
Aug 11, 2016
Indianapolis, IN
Hello all, I got two Pekins last night that were raised by a friend. He let them roam, but he had a large enough yard they would leave. I let them out this morning to feed and water, and in the time it took me to go from the coop to the house and get my son to show him the ducks, they disappeared. I finally found them about six houses away in a pond (go figure :p). I was wondering if there was a way to get them to not wander too far? I know with broody chickens you isolate them for three days and they snap out of it, is there a similar practice to get ducks to stay put? Thanks in advance everyone!

You'll have to keep them penned up until they regard your place as home. Now that they have discovered the pond, it will very likely be difficult to keep them 'home'.

You'll have to keep them penned up until they regard your place as home.  Now that they have discovered the pond, it will very likely be difficult to keep them 'home'.

That's what I'm afraid of..... The drake is for the table, the hen I would like to keep for eggs. I'm getting a second Pekin hen this evening, and chasing those two around that poor ladies yard wasn't something I'd like to do on a regular basis
1f61d.png
. Any idea on a time frame for keeping them penned? 3-4 days, a week?

I have a wading pool set up for them outside the coop. In the spring I plan on digging a small pond (I also keep aquariums, so a pond to maintain would be a hobby for me as well). I appreciate the advice! Hopefully they'll settle in. They won't let me come anywhere near them now, which is understandable. I'll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom