Re-integrating a chicken back into her flock

linkchips

Chirping
Jan 23, 2023
My sweet Salmon Favorelle, Sami, was over mated by the rooster with skin showing and also had feathers on her head pulled outing it was looking pretty bad although not bleeding. When the polar vortex swept into our area, I decided it would be best for her to stay in the basement in a puppy play pen where it is pretty cold but not frigid as it was outside. Once the temperature went back up (10 days) I attempted to put her back in with her flock. It did not go well. it was chaos. So I put her in a small coop that's in the run and next to the bigger coop, so that the others see her and the next time I try, it may go better! I am super scared though. What is the best way to do this?
a). Let her out and hope for the best?
b). Sneek her into the big coop at night and they wake up together?
c). Create a separate flock with her and another friend from the other flock?
d). Some other way I have not thought of.

Please help with ideas, tips, suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes it does have a separate run. The coop is small and would only be able to have one more small hen. I am considering that option with the Whiting True Blue hen, Inky. Should have included that with the post!!

Yes it does have a separate run. The coop is small and would only be able to have one more small hen. I am considering that option with the Whiting True Blue hen, Inky. Should have included that with the post!!
3 of the worst feather damaged hens. Sami's feathers are growing back nicely. Also, the small coop.

Attachments

• tempImageFbuGzr.png
    tempImageFbuGzr.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageiMReBo.png
    tempImageiMReBo.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • tempImageTHObcI.png
    tempImageTHObcI.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 0476818A-4A34-4928-B116-9709D93323CD.jpeg
    0476818A-4A34-4928-B116-9709D93323CD.jpeg