re-introduce 6 wk old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by warmwater, Sep 26, 2009.

1. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Hello, I have 6-6 wk old chicks. Two wks ago I took Molly out (she was not feeling or looking well). I didn't know what was wrong with her so I gave her Poly-Vi-Sol, yogurt and keep her away from the other 5....just in case.

She is doing great now, the other 5 did not get sick. Now I want to put her back with the other 5.....MY PROBLEM is ONE of the 5 chases her around and pecks at her...My little Molly gets so scared.

Do I just watch and see what happens....OR....do I take M.G. (mean girl) out for a day then put her back in and see what happens? I want them to all get along...they will be going in the coop outside soon and I want them to stay as a group. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Just wanted to say....thanks for the helpful advice!

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm so glad your little one is doing better! I would do exactly what you just suggested--take the dominant (M.G.) out for half a day or a day, while putting the other one back in. When you put MG back in with the others, she'll be at the bottom of the pecking order and probably a lot more manageable. You can allow a little scuffling to go on--as long as you watch and make sure they don't hurt each other, and that it eventually settles out.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by