Re Introduction to the Cold

Chullicken

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Dorchester, NH
Recently I had the horrifying displeasure of a weasel issue and one of the victims I managed to save was brought inside to a heated house. I've never had this type of experience so my question is after she recovers, what is the best method to reintroduce her to the outside world again? I live in New Hampshire and temperatures are in the 30's currently, inside being around 65 degrees. Not sure a winter house chicken is a solution, I haven't changed a diaper in 20 years. She is a lovely 2.5 year old Red Sex Link with two surviving flock mates. Thank you in advance!

I'd take a look at your weather forecast and pick the warmest day of the week and take her out around noon or so if possible for a few hours. Watch her and see how it goes. Maybe she will need to come back in your house at night a few times, but will be fine during the day. Try and plan a day when you will be home from work/school and can check on her like once an hour and make sure she is doing ok. I think behavior will be your biggest guidance on this one. Chickens that are full grown and fully feathered survive cold snaps without a problem, hopefully she will be right back at it!

I'd take a look at your weather forecast and pick the warmest day of the week and take her out around noon or so if possible for a few hours. Watch her and see how it goes. Maybe she will need to come back in your house at night a few times, but will be fine during the day. Try and plan a day when you will be home from work/school and can check on her like once an hour and make sure she is doing ok. I think behavior will be your biggest guidance on this one. Chickens that are full grown and fully feathered survive cold snaps without a problem, hopefully she will be right back at it!
Thank you so much, they're my pets and I am just horrified. Had chickens for years and never had to deal with a weasel before now.

I saw a weasel near my coop relatively recently for the first time. I didn't even think any lived in my area! They can be nasty little critters. I'm glad your chicken is recovering and hopefully she has no troubles going back out with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom