RE: Is this a Rooster?

Pstemarie

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2019
I'm thinking the "hen" with the really bright comb is actually a rooster. She/he is quite a bit bigger than the others and the clear "master/mistress" of the group. He/she also is constantly fluffing out the neck feathers when my other free-range hens come near the pen. He/she's only 11 weeks old and is the same size as my 2 yr old comets.

The one I'm interested in sexing is the mottled pale gray chicken with the brownish tinge to its neck feathers.

IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

They don't earn their hen and roo badges until they reach one year old. Before that they are technically pullet or cockerel which can be an important distinction when discussing health or behavior. But you do indeed have a cockerel there according to his saddle feathers which are showing nice and early for ya...

Hope he becomes a nice flock leader for you! :love

ETA: do you know his breed? I'm thinking maybe Colombian Rock??

He's actually pretty tame with the pullets. Its the other flock he seems to have get aggressive with, but they have their own coop so I'm not concerned until they are all free ranging next spring.

I'm impressed. Honestly I check this forum to test myself and I was not thinking it was a cockerel. Apparently I was wrong haha. The comb and wattle are so small. He looks like my pullets right before they started laying. My roosters were crowing by 9 weeks too! Thanks for posting!

I'm impressed. Honestly I check this forum to test myself and I was not thinking it was a cockerel. Apparently I was wrong haha. The comb and wattle are so small. He looks like my pullets right before they started laying. My roosters were crowing by 9 weeks too! Thanks for posting!

I've heard crowing occasionally, but I've never been able to tell which one it was as they were always in the coop. They are also not very vocal compared to the Comets I have. Are Easter Eggers always on the quieter side?

Back
Top Bottom