re: Please Don't Undercharge for Your eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sell mine for 3.00 doz and I feed my chickens organic grain. I donate .50cent per doz. food pantry get the ones I don't sell. I get 2.50 It pays for the feed and if it don't O'Well their my pets and they need to be fed.

I haven't sold any of my girls eggs so far, don't know if I will. When at the s. fl. fair last weekend here in Florida, they were sellling eggs for $3.00 a dozen, and people were picking them up like hot cakes!
ep.gif
They sure didn't mind buying them for that price either. Now, I would'nt sell mine for that much, really don't think people would buy them either. I guess at the fair its that much more unique to those who stop by the poulty tent I guess. I know that before my girls started laying regulary, I was buying the cage free eggs for a little while, then had to go to the "regular" ones, because my husband said, just pick up the regular ones, money is tight, and you will be getting your own soon. I didn't really like to do that, because of how those poor birds live. I do know what its like though, when it comes to money, and how much you are willing to pay for such things. Especially when we all are hurting one way or another.
smile.png

I sell the extras to my friends and co-workers for $1. I dont consider them buying eggs, they are just contributing to the feed bill. Works just fine for me. None of my friends are well off, they are all struggling. A dozen or 2 eggs a week really makes a difference to them. This is not my business. I dont want my fun time to be a business. Changes the fun time to a business, and I dont want that. I agree with the therapy....who knew chickens could be so much fun to take care of and watch? The eggs are extra bonuses...I still enjoy collecting eggs, its my fun part of the day. Yesterday, for example, I actually sat in my coop, because one of my EEs is laying a really blue egg, and I wanted to find out which one was doing it. So I sat in the coop for 3 hours. Watching chickens lay eggs. Do I need to get out more? Probably. But I dont want to. And I heard them make the funniest noises and make the funniest faces laying those eggs. It was a riot.

I never did find the blue egg layer. Thank goodness today is Sunday, I can sit in the coop again.

Quote:
How true! The market here is $1.50. If I went any higher I would loose my customers to the stores. They don't mind paying a little more for REAL FARM FRESH EGGS when the store prices are lower than that but, if you go to high they will go to the store. And for the times the store prices go higher, they love you. But, the store prices don't get much higher than that and it only stays for a short time.

Us little guys have to go with the market. Bigger sellers, the ones who sell wholesale, have more of an impact on the price IMO.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, around here a person HAS to be super fast! I've missed out on SEVERAL hovabators (with turners I might add) and great deals on eggs being offered....and who can pass up FREE?!

gig.gif

I sell mine for $2 a dozen and right now since it's winter I sell all I can get here at home.In the spring and summer when I have more egg's they back up on me at times but I sell the extra's to a friend of mine at church for $1.50 cause at that price he sell's all he can get his hands on.He lives about 12 miles from me and the .50 difference in the price makes all the difference.I'm considering dropping my price to $1.50 this spring when production picks up so I can maybe sell them all myself.I'm competitve with the grocery store's but lately they have been running specials for "white eggs" at .99 a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom