re: Please Don't Undercharge for Your eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like most of the pople on BYC aren't your competition. My sense of the BYC members is that the majority are small flock owners: perhaps 20 or fewer.

The price of eggs will vary greatly by region. As you've seen by the responses, a dozen will sell for anywhere from $1.25 to $4. I plan to sell my eggs for $3/doz, which my friends have already told me is too low for the Seattle area. I will consider $4/doz in time.

A friend of mine has said she wants to buy my eggs. I know that $3/doz will be too much for her because she buys her eggs 5 doz at a time at Costco. I don't plan to lower my price so that she can afford my eggs: I want to sell eggs to cover some of the feed costs. Because I will have, at most 7 laying hens at once (including a banty), I won't have more than 3-4 dozen eggs to sell each month. I suspect that many of us on BYC probably have fewer than 10 doz a month to sell.

Right now, I on ly have 2 layers (of a flock of 4). Like many, I give away extra eggs to keep the peace with neighbors, hostess gifts, and thank-yous to friends.

We all wish you well in your business, and hope that you'll find a price point that is supported by your target market and will keep you in the black.

Hi, how are you buying feed, do you have any local Mennonites or Amish to buy from..

I just got hooked up with a friend of mine that lives about 1/2 hr from me and he has been getting feed from the Mennonites for the past year and gets this layer ration from them.

Ive been using Purina for the longest time and well we all know those prices are fairly costly.

Next feed run will be to the Mennonites here.

Price is 100 lbs of layer mash $11.55

My friend said his birds love it and it is all local grown product and his birds lay just as good and all have great plumage to go along with it, so I'm going to try some for myself..

Maybe find an alternative to the feed prices you are paying for now. it may help to run your egg business a bit cheaper without sacrificing quality

Also we are gonna get pine shaving from these folks as well, were we buy now its $6.25 a bag, through the Mennonites its $4.10 a bag.

Charlie

I got chickens because I feed a lot of eggs to other animals that I breed, cage birds and toy/mini poodles. I don't see any difference between feeding extra eggs to the birds and dogs, or to my neighbor or giving them away to someone to hatch in another state, would affect your business. Maybe, as another poster suggested, some small business classes would be another timely investment you could make at this point.

Quote:
I second that! Raising chickens and ducks is my hobby and I don't expect other people to have to cover the cost of it. I just have a small backyard flock, but I do end up with more eggs than me and my daughter can eat. I feel good about myself for being able to give these extras of mine to other people. I don't ask for anything in return but I am often blessed by receiving fruits, veggies or a helping hand when I need it. That's what I love about self reliance--you also know when to be part of something more than yourself.

i sell mine for $2 a dozen..and give an extra dozen or so free every so often to the person for even buying them!..
lau.gif
and i give all my family/neighbors them free if they want them...but, i'm not in it to make money..so, i see your point.

Last edited:
I have given eggs away to family, friends and co-workers.

I am now charging the 'stupid' price of 1.25 per dozen and THRILLED to get that.

If you want to make a profit I would look more into selling hatching eggs than eggs for food. You may never be able to compete with local farms or if your in an area with lots of small flocks. It doesn't seem like a good business plan to sink all your money into the business (fans? misting systems? are you in a hot climate?) if you are aware you can't price the product high enough to get the money back out. My chickens live in a converted oat bin that I put no money into. They have extra trees I cut down as roosts. I can sell my eggs as low as I want since I'm not putting in as much money or looking for a big profit. If you do want to put in alot of money you should make sure you have something that will sell for enough before you start.

Quote:
Ok, I had considered not replying, since I am mildly offended, but I believe I can make my point without getting snagged by the mods
big_smile.png

You see, when you say you don't want to offend anyone, the first thing to do is go back and re-read your post and make sure you are not calling people "stupid" for charging low prices or accusing them of "devaluing and undermining" you or your business when most of these folks, myself included, have never had a moment's thought about you at all until you posted this.

I charge my neighbors 1.00 per dozen - I may up the price to 1.50, at most, come summer, but that would be the highest I would go. I guess that makes me one of those Stupid People.

You see, around here, Walmart charges less than a dollar for a dozen eggs. I also live in farm country, and most folks either have their own chickens or are economically challenged and could not pay over 3 dollars for a dozen eggs even if they wanted to.
I am sure your area is different from mine, and what applies here does not apply in your area. Therefore, I would not dream of criticizing you for charging what you charge. If your market will bear that price, then more power to ya.

I wish you well in your endeavors. Unfortunately, it is not my responsibility to make sure that you do well and make money. I am, personally, making enough to feed my chickens (and the donkeys) and a little extra to boost my flock numbers and expand my coops. My goal is not the same as your goal.

Good luck with your Business.

meri

Last edited:
Quote:
While I wish you the best in your ventures, I cannot, in good conscience, support your point of view. Most of us raise chickens as a hobby and as pets- perhaps that makes the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom