re raising pullets/off season for PROFIT! $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've raised chickens for almost 17 years- have yet to see more profit than a few dollars towards feed costs. I have always tried to keep maintenance costs to a minimum while raising healthy birds. But once I account for electricity share, housing costs and feed/medicines, I am not making much more than a few bucks. I also include my time, which can really add up with twice daily chores to keep them in good shape.

As a former professional bookkeeper, I wonder how you do your accounting? As Katy said, that is a bit over the top profit, and since you began only in July, there must a mistake in the accounting method somewhere.

I am NOT saying you shouldn't try or be happy about it- only that I suspect you are missing some of your expenses when tallying the total. If you actually are making that kind of money, then go for it!

Last edited:
That is AWESOME!!! I wish i could make a profit off my chickens! but it wont ever happen... my dad spent WAAAAy to much money building the coop, I would have to have chickens for about...lets see....74 years atleast just counting the costs of the coop. Not including food, waterers, feeders, electrcity, wood chips, medicine, ect.

Im VERRY jealous.....but if chickens became a way of money we would be the richest family around!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what are these barter groups...I coupon, etc. but we don't have groups where we swap chickens and eggs for groceries, etc. Where did you find one?

Also, even with more expensive poultry, this is not a money maker venture.....We've full time farmed now for only 4 years and when we add in the cost of fencing pens, runs, coops, brooders, electricity, water, feed, etc., we are not yet making money. We are well diversitfied but poultry is not a money maker.

About the only ones in the State that appear to be making money are those that go to auctions, stock up on cheap and sometimes run down/sickly poultry and they take them to another auction to resell after they mess with them a short while....I personally won't be doing this as number one, this is not our philosophy of home grown and home raised on the farm, but moreover poses a great risk to our poultry and we won't be doing that kind of income raising.

It's interesting that due to many issues regarding reselling of birds, our State now requires a reseller license for these kinds of individuals and I'm in favor of it as these individuals could potentially spread many health risks to many flocks. (By fixing up a sick chicken, the chicken is still sick and can forward to make an entire flock ill or even die....)

So whatever you do, please don't buy low and sell high.....

Quote:
I'm with you here bargain. I think everyone who looks at turning a profit from what they do on their farms is potentially a little optimistic - the hard truth is there just isn't that much money in farming these days, especially small-scale poultry like most people on here are doing. From my POV, if I cover a few of my costs then that's great. Otherwise, this is more of a life choice. When you add seeking quality birds into the equation - I have nothing against hatcheries, but if I've learned anything from my short time in chickens it's that hatchery quality birds are a looonnngggg way from the breed standard - then you're even further from making a profit. Speckled Sussex are, unfortunately, one of the breeds where this is so evident. Their markings are so hard to get right and hatcheries do not - by sheer virtue of the nature - breed and cull for quality. Also, like bargain said, in GA you have to have a license to resell birds which you've bought in from a hatchery. If you're doing this, I think it's important that people know that's what you're doing and don't think you're selling home-produced birds.

As a final thought, where quantities of birds bought in from a hatchery are concerned, you probably need to take a close look at biosecurity. Especially if you're buying in from more than one hatchery. If you had an illness surface, you stand to lose a ton of money in dead chicks.

I'm not putting a downer on your endeavor - simply speaking out on a subject on which I have some strong feelings.

I commend your innovative and creative thinking in the tough economical times we are all experiencing. But- I wonder about the overall health of these "flipped" chickens? Having now read several threads you have started, I feel perhaps you need to do a bit more research into raising healthy birds, in order to avoid more of the numerous fatalities amongst your flock.

Not attacking you, just trying to say that I think your profit will increase exponentially with your knowledge.
smile.png

There is an enormous difference between "it worked for me once" and "it turns that profit month in, month out, and has for several years, proving that it really is a stable and successful enterprise", especially when you are urging other people to do it too.

Pat

Quote:
She won't even say if that is projected profits or if that's what she's sold since July or what. Interesting that she hasn't shared that bit of info. I think we'd all be interested to know.

my hen eggs pay for there feed thats it. the 30 light brahmas i hatched and are raising as a new flock are eating way to much. i will have to sell lots of fertile eggs to even break even. my eggs came from to different breeders, one here in tn and the other in pa. i am keeping hens from tn and roosters from the pa eggs. so i dont see any profit any time soon. as far as selling chicks. 1.00 a piece right now and maybe 2.00 in the spring. and thats pure bread. i have 5 white silkies one roo and 4 hens that have just started laying. they are show quality. thats what i have been told by sevaral different fokes. maybe i will make a few bucks off there eggs to compensate the others feed bill. as far as a profit in farming of any kind. GOOD LUCK. our 150 head of cattle barely pay for them selves in their off spring. big bucks in chickens. ha ha i dont see how.

Thank you for explaining how to spell the breed names correctly, I'll make a note of that. I did not know you serve as the BYC spell checker too! I have pointed out that I am aware that this is hathery stock and not nearly as wonderful as your show stock. I will point this out to my customers, so that if they wish to contact you in your state for one of your show birds better eggs, then I'll be happy to send them your way....

Without getting into too much detail the answer is yes, I have in one month seen cash/ barter/food/clothes/movies/tools/nets/plants and lots more "income" totaling $3,000 or more. If you believe me fine, if not go back and read how I did this in post #1. Good luck and you sound a little bit jealous or skeptible? its not that hard, really.

So in answer to your repeated question. This income is not projected. I am seeing cash/barter flow part time income of $3000 I really do not think you need more information than this do you? Thanks for your interest in my new and successful venture.

By the way I pointed out I am not interested in "show birds" and bettering the breed. This is fine for you, good luck to you and your show stock, Please do not think because your perfect birds have better color eggs and feathers that it makes your project better than mine. It does not. Lets close this thread... someone is getting too "petty and snippy!" Sheesh!!!! I just wanted someone to say
"job well done if I cant make money I am glad you can." Don't begrudge some one a moment of happiness because you have not achieved profit in your venture yet!

Quote:

If you're going to sell them you might want to learn how to spell the breed correctly....it's Cuckoo Marans. Speckled Sussex and Welsummers are not hard to find breeds. Good ones are, but many hatcheries sell them. I hope you're telling your customers that they may not get the dark eggs from the Marans and welsummers since a lot of hatchery stock don't lay dark eggs like the breed is supposed to.

So the way you continue to avoid my question I'll take that as it's a projected figure and not money in your pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom