Re: What can I do now? Lame Hen

LOVEIGEE

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Cuddles is a 10 month old dominique. She is a real fighter. About 2 months ago, I noticed her limping and took her to an avian friend of mine. She checked her leg and hip movement, but could find nothing. The limp got worse, so we took her to a vet that would see chickens. X-rays were taken and nothing was found, but the hock was swollen just a little bit. The vet splinted, which we had to take off, because it was cutting off the circulation and she was getting worse with it on. She eventually got to where she couldn't stand up as the left leg was failing too. Thankfully, I read about the vitamin B deficiency and tried that....she is at least standing now, but her legs are still weak. She is trying so hard.....she eats, drinks and poop looks normal.....Is there anything else I can do to strengthen her?
Thank you so much for any help...............She doesn't have bumblefoot.

Would you try an antibiotic just in case she has something bacterial going on? Or not, since I don't really know?

Cuddles is finally up, but walking stiff legged:). She has been in the basement for about 2 months now, but I do let her out in the backyard with the others when it's not too hot. She seems so lonely and still is unable to get up on roost in the coop. Would it be better to put her dog crate in the run with the others for company? And the question I really have is....at night, is it okay for her to sleep out in the run in the crate by herself? Or maybe put another hen to sleep with her....cover the crate? etc.....Thank you for your opinions...

I have a hen named Woopie that something like this happened to. One day she was fine, then the next, she looked like her leg wasn't working. I checked her over and could find nothing. I put her in a nice, quiet place then sat to watch the others in the pen. I noticed my young Roo was trying to...do his thing, and he was pretty rough. I figured because he had very little experience. Anyway I figured he might have hurt Woopie as he was trying to get into the saddle. She eats and drinks fine and has no issues pooping.

That's how Cuddles did too......we have checked everything.....we don't have any roos, so I am still going crazy trying to figure it out.......She is doing a whole lot better, but still has to plop down when she stands too long or tries to walk any length of time....Sweet, sweet girl.....she lays an egg for me everyday in the basement and coos when I come home from work.....I hope your girl will just wake up one morning and be okay.....I have hated not knowing......

Please someone with this sort of thing happen give me some advice as to where I should keep her. Please?

Well, I definitely don't have to worry about it being too cool..Lordy, it's been really hot here....I just didn't know how she would feel being not secluded/safe like in the basement or in the coop. I just know how lonely she is acting. Could this be a permanent thing for her? I would so hate that, but I don't know what else to do as far as the way she is walking.
sad.png
This website has been a Godsent for me.........keeps me from going crazy.

Whoo hoo....I finally found a for real avian vet that will check my Cuddles out! Ya'll wish me luck. She is still in the basement and is acting fine except for not being able to walk but 3 or 4 steps and being very stiffed legged. I'm hoping what they find will help lots of ya'll that are experiencing the same thing when everything seems okay, but not being able to walk correctly.....Everyone have a great 4th!

Back
Top Bottom