1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ready Made Brooder Ideas? (From Petsmart)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skav2407, Feb 25, 2009.

1. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    I was wondering if anyone had seen these. They seem like they could make good ready made brooders for a reasonable price. I believe there is even free shipping when you get to $60 bucks.

This one looks just like a chicken tractor although it's tiny. Maybe it could be used in a warm climate as a brooder? Of course you'd probably have to ad some wire fencing with smaller holes. 39.5"L x 19"W x 16"H http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006740#prodTab1

This
    one would be for more of an indoor brooder but it looks like it would be easy to store and very portable. It's a little pricey though. 16"x30"x28" http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754941

Just thought I would throw a couple of ideas out there. What do you think?

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I don't have a use for it as a brooder, but I DO have a tortoise! I had never given any thought to a tortoise tractor but after seeing your post I think I'll give a try at building one for Mo.

Thanks for posting!

3. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    You can dig a cardboard box out of a dumpster for a lot cheaper than that;)

I use a stocktank for a brooder, I bought it used for next to nothing at a farm auction. Old bathtubs work well, so do used fishtanks, 55 gal plastic drums cut in half make two nice brooders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by